Taxes & Expectations

Have started receiving royalty checks on oil & gas lease in LaSalle County. I own mineral rights only, not the land itself. I have never received any tax bill or notification of any kind from the county tax office (have owned the mineral rights for over 20 years.) I am not a resident of Texas. How do I find out details of tax liabilities to the county and state and forms to be filed, etc.? On another note... do the checks on a producing well vary widely in amount from month-to-month, or is the revenue fairly stable? Also, could one expect that a well will produce for a matter of months, a year, five years, or more? Any input would be very helpful. Thank you.

I to am a royalty only owner in LaSalle and received an Appraisal Notice for future taxes about a month ago. It gives me a chance to go before a review board and protest before the final taxes are set. There is no date as to when the final bill will be mailed. They have a phone number listed that may give you more info. 512-233-0330 or www.CAGI.com

Generally, appraisal districts don't start taxing minerals until there is production. You can contact them to make sure there are not back taxes owed.

Thank you, Todd. I will call the number. Best of luck to you!
Todd Keuper said:

I to am a royalty only owner in LaSalle and received an Appraisal Notice for future taxes about a month ago. It gives me a chance to go before a review board and protest before the final taxes are set. There is no date as to when the final bill will be mailed. They have a phone number listed that may give you more info. 512-233-0330 or www.CAGI.com