Tax bill ridiculous

I received a tax bill yesterday for mineral interests I do not own. The assessed property was in excess of three million dollars. I know I am among others who have experienced this same situation. Should I just ignore it, or respond in some fashion? What is the general consensus? TYIA…

kind of curious as to whether or not these incorrect properties are showing up under your name at the reeves county appraisal district site online?

I just checked at the appraisal district and not only does the property idea from the 2020 Supplemental Tax Statement I received not show up, neither do the properties I actually own show up.

1 Like

Also, in checking at the tax assessor’s office, my legitimate mineral interests show up, but the “RIDICULOUS” 3mil property is not listed under my name, nor could I find it listed by property ID number.

FIRST, In order to see the owner of the well listed on the erroneous 2020 Supplemental Statement, you must go to the NEW Reeves CAD website (there is an old site and a new site). Then select “Online Services” and then “Property Search” . On left side, there is a drop-down menu, where you can select “Property ID”. On the right side, select 202 as the tax year. In the center, enter the last 6 digits of the listed Property ID (exclude the N and zeros). When you click on the search icon, the property will show up with the true owner and other information. SECOND In order to see your own list of properties, under the drop down menu under property search, enter your name and the appropriate year. THIRD, here is the website: https://stage.reeves.prodigycad.com/

2 Likes

Thanks, TennisDaze. When I entered the info in the format you suggested from the erroneous tax statement, it came up with the TRUE owner being Chevron something or other. At least it didn’t list me. When I entered my name in search of properties belonging to me, zero, zip, nada.

I find two wells under your name by entering Tomlin or Tomlin Linton. Cannot enter Linton first.

1 Like

Reeves County Tax Assessor Collector Dept are just idiots. This has been a massive and an ongoing problem. There standard response is “call back at a later time and we will let you know”.

They cant foreclose on you if you if you don’t own the property. The way Texas assesses mineral properties via appraisal districts is just ridiculous. Why they do not take their taxes out at the well head as produced just makes for tons of bureaucracy, red tape and an insane amount of time.

Not sure everyone there are idiots, but they appear to be managed by people lacking competence in this area of taxation. I still think this tax is tantamount to an income tax, just disguised a little. So far, online, my continue to reflect the same four properties from 2021 to 2023. Are other counties going through this type of mismanagement. Seems at some point the state will have to step in to resolve Reeves County Appraisal District malfeasance…

2 Likes

If you scroll down under Suggested Topics, there is another thread about the woes of the Reeves County Tax Office that has additional information.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.