SW/4 of Section 30-19N-4 W

ISO info about value of mineral deed for Medicaid application purposes. Original well was owned by Story (property #021901) deeded to my mom, then my dad. Last revenue check was in 2004. We believe it’s no longer producing but cannot ascertain value of mineral rights. Total acres on deed is 160; we think net mineral acres is 5 or less, division of interest = .003894000. DHS estimated worth in 2016 to be about $2,700 but have no idea if this is accurate.

Any info would be appreciated! I have scoured the internet about this but it’s rather confusing, especially for a property no longer in production (apparently).

That’s valuing the 5 acres at $540/acre. For non-producing, unleased minerals in that area, you would be hard pressed to sell them for 1/2 that amount. IMHO.

Thanks, Todd. I read elsewhere on this site that for non-producing properties, the going rate is $0-250 per acre. I don’t know how/where DHS got their evaluation!!

There has been a lot of drilling in Section 30. The Story wells are from the 1920s. There are still 5 producing wells in Section 30, although none in the SW4. Normally I would assign minimal value to such a small, non-producing tract. There was a producing well when the previous valuation was made. Its only worth what someone else would pay. I would estimate in today’s market $1500-$2000. Could be less, or more. A more accurate estimate, without production volumes to value, would be comparable non-producing tracts in the area, but that information is very hard to come by.

In Oklahoma DHS reviews Medicaid applications. They have specific formulas to determine the value of unleased non-producing minerals. I concur that the values may be very low. There are ways to accomplish a transfer if the ownership causes them to be “over resourced” for medicaid eligibility. Generally, for income producing minerals they can have a value up to $6k. However, if the minerals are not currently producing they may be considered a “countable resource” at any value.

Very useful info – thank you, Donald. Lincoln Story was my great-great grandfather and the info we have is that he split the royalties for this plot between his 13 grandchildren. Also fairly certain no royalty checks have been issued for at least 15 years of more. Since we don’t even know who operates it now, it has been a real headache to figure out “market value” even for the purpose of selling it or transferring deed to my brother and me.

DHS at first tried to tell me in 2016 that it was worth about $112,000. My first thought was, “Please put me in contact with the person who gave you this estimate so I can sell it to them.” LOL

1 Like

This is my thought on 50% of the post on this forum lol, “if you can find anyone paying that, please call me I’ll sell them everything I have.”

DHS can be persuaded that a different valuation from their formula should be used. The people in charge of these valuations are actually very reasonable. I’m guessing that the earlier valuation leading to the $112k was based on total acres encompassed by the description and not net acres owned. A landman valuation may be in order.

If this causes her to be over-resourced there are ways to cure.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.