Surprise Valley Resources

Does anyone on here have experience/knowledge of Surprise Valley Resources? I got a message from them about leasing mineral rights. Our property is in Leon County.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, they seem to be leasing on behalf of Comstock, as far as I’ve seen. As in, Comstock would likely be the eventual driller of any wells on lands leased by them. I’ve also seen that they are able to offer 25% leases but it takes negotiation to get there. This Leon-Robertson area was recently in the news on some circles I follow of Aethon having some great results nearby. They’re not quite as active as Comstock, but those are the two main ones I’ve seen drilling.

There are several good posts by folks on this site reporting on their experiences in this area. The main trend follows highway 79 along the county line, if you’re curious.

Here’s a post that summarizes a Hart Energy article (which I don’t think is behind a pay-wall, but at least behind a log-in wall, so I’ll post the free linkedin post instead that references the article. Head’s up that the poster is a mineral buyer and will have a bit of bias in the equation Aethon Energy adds new wells in Robertson County | Toby D. Martinez, MBA posted on the topic | LinkedIn)

The wells are very expensive and are highly dependent on natural gas prices. They HAVE to be big wells to pay for the drill cost, but when they do, it’s great news for the cost-free mineral owner.

1 Like

Surprise Valley Resources is a lease broker in Leon County for Comstock Resources. Comstock is the best and only company in the Leon County Deep Bossier/Haynesville Shale Play. Current lease bonus should be a minimum of $1,000/net acre lease bonus for a 3 year lease with a 1/4 cost free royalty. Do not accept a 2 year option on the lease. You need to give the legal description of where it is located and the net. mineral acres you think you own. What area of Leon County is this located? Currently the Marquez area is the top spot.

Thank you all for the response and comments. We have leased for oil in the past but nothing came of it. We quit leasing because the land was were just being tied up. I know there are some wells within the general area, so I am thinking it may be more promising this time. Ibwill share your responses with my siblings. Our land is located in the Jewett area of Leon County.

You will find a lot of additional info in the Leon County section of this message board.

1 Like