Surprise Valley Leasing Update - 11/30/22

Surprise Valley filed a few more lease memos on 11/28/22, bringing their estimated totals to:

1,662 leases in

127 surveys covering

more than 50,000 gross acres.

But something else significant happened today…

Comstock submitted a drilling permit request for a horizontal well with the pad to be located in the James McKelvey Survey A-543 in Leon County. This survey is included in the Surprise Valley leasing area. Comstock has done no leasing in their own name in Leon County, and their acquisition from Legacy Reserves does not include any acreage in this survey. This provides more evidence that Surprise Valley has been leasing for Comstock.

However, no document has been filed yet (as of 11/28/22) assigning the Surprise Valley leases to Comstock, but I believe that will happen very soon.

It seems pretty clear at this point that this Leon County well will be an extension of the Lower Bossier gas wells that Comstock has begun drilling in Robertson County.

I’ll probably make a more extensive post in the future about this Comstock play, but it appears that Comstock has established a leasehold of about 125,000 gross acres (my rough estimate) located primarily in Robertson, Leon, and Freestone Counties.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.