Surface rights and mineral rights

If you own the mineral rights to land do you also own the land? I’m sorry, I virtually know nothing about this

There are surface rights and mineral rights. Once upon a time they were all owned by the same person. They still are in a lot of cases. However, it is possible to sell one without the other. So if someone in the past ownership chain of your property sold one without the other, then it is entirely possible that you own mineral rights but not surface rights. If you did own the surface rights, you should have been paying property taxes on it. If you haven’t been paying taxes on it, then you probably don’t own it.

3 Likes

You don’t say what state you are talking about. In Oklahoma there is no property tax on minerals, only on surface. Minerals are taxed in Texas.

I own oil and gas and land to can you give any advise on what to look for so I don’t get cheated

When you own both the surface and minerals you have a greater interest in how the minerals are developed. You may be able to negotiate for and receive lease terms that protect the surface. Sometimes this gives you a better bargaining position. Your rights depend upon the state in which you own the property.