Surface right

Once again I am reaching out to the experts in this forum to help us decide on whether to sell or not. We have been given our highest offer of 19k for our 9.24 acres, surface only lot in Culberson County. This is located at the NE 1/4 of section 2, block 112. I guess on or adjacent to JS Blair 2 #1 H well. The offer started off at 6k and after going back and forth, now is at 19k! Initially we were just testing the water as we didn’t need the money but now have the need for it. While we need the money, we don’t want to regret this decision if we are under-valuing our surface right interest. We were advised to reach out to a Landman but we don’t know how much money we’ll need to shell out before one answers our question. Pls. let us know your thoughts. Any feedback is appreciated.

Anything special about the land, i.e. irrigated farmland, good water source, strategic location, etc? If just desert scrub in the middle of nowhere, that is a great price.

Hi Wade, Not that I know of but the Landman that came out to us over here in California told us that they need the right of way since all around us is land-locked and need to get from one point where they already are operating to go to another area where they are also operating but need the access. Something like that. Not really sure but they were more than generous in giving us an extra 1k over our last counter offer price but then it made me us think that maybe we were giving it away for peanuts at the rate they’ve gone from 3k to 6k to 15k and finally 19k.

If they are telling you they are wanting this just for a right of way, why don’t you tell them you’ll sell them a a defined right of way easement across the property for that price, negotiate where and how it will cross but keep your land. In the future there could be other companies that will need to pass that same way.

If you have legal you may be able to view on Google earth using this site: http://www.earthpoint.us/TownshipsSearchByDescription.aspx

MJ,

Any news on your tract? I am in discussions with Capitan/Antelope now on a tract I have in block 112 section 5. Would love to hear from you on what price you ended up getting and how you arrived there.