Surface owner Sweetwater Co., WY

Trying to find regulations for Sweetwater Co., WY regarding surface owner rights. I do not own mineral rights. I own property in Mexican Flats, south of Wamsutter, WY. An oil/gas company is sending me royalty checks. I have never signed anything for them to use my property. They are rather evasive when I tell them I only own the property. Does anyone know what this is about? Thanks...

"Royalty checks" would mean you own at least a little mineral rights. Sometimes people don't think they own any, and it turns out math was off or the language was off in prior mineral sales, and the surface owner does own some.

The other possibility is it's money for a surface use agreement, either with you or the prior surface owner. If there is a well (or roads or tanks) located on the property, it's common to pay/compensate the surface owner for the loss of use of this space/acreage.

Thanks for the info Daniel. My family has had the property since the 70's. I don't believe we have mineral rights. I haven't been to the property in years. I've tried to look at satelite, but unable to see it clearly. Would the oil company use the surface and then try to compensate the owner? We will not be able to go see the property until summer 2014. Do you know which agency the oil company would register with if they were going to do anything on the property.

Thanks...