Stephens County, Oklahoma Mineral Rights

Hi, So my husband got a letter from a Leasing company about some mineral rights or something. He has no idea about what it is about. It talks about a property in Stephens County, Oklahoma and I can’t find anything online about who owns it or how we are connected to it. I have looked at a few maps but on the paperwork it says 30 acres or something. The property is listed as Sec. 17, T3S-R4W E/2 SW/4 NW/4 and SE/4 NW/4 NW/4 Nugget 17-6

I have no idea how to find anything on this. I can find the section, I think. But none of the pieces are 30 acres. And I can’t find a parcel number or anything about ownership.

TIA, Connie

Welcome to the forum. Make sure it is a leasing letter and not a buying letter. Lots of questions should be asked before entertaining any offer. Or does it say Division Order at the top?

First of all, find out why they think he is the owner. What did the title search indicate? Who did he inherit it from? If the name is common, might be true or might be an error.

Read the descriptions backwards. NW4 is 160 acres, so the SW4 is 40 acres of that and then the E/2 gives 20 acres for the first description. The second one is NW4 for 160 acres and then the SW4 which is 40 acres of that and then the SE4, to that is 10 acres total. 20 + 10=30 acres. A full section is usually 640 acres.

The fact that you posted a well name makes me suspicious that is a sales offer. You have a potential horizontal well coming there. Ask more questions to the offering person. Don’t do anything in haste. Do not sign the lease that they offer you as it will need some negotiation. I would not sell if I had a pending well.

What do you mean by a “well name”?

You had said Nugget 17-6, so wasn’t sure if that was the name of the new well which would indicate a lease or an old well which might indicate a sale.

I would not lease for 1/8th. Ask what they are offering for 3/16ths and 1/5th. Ask if they are going to drill a vertical well or a horizontal well and who the operator will be.

Don’t accept a “draft” you need a payment. A draft does not guarantee payment.