Stephens County Chit-Chat

Not feeling well this morning so i may miss church. But it gave me an idea. My sister works for the University of Southern Mississippi setting up closed circuit classes between Hattiesburg Campus and the MS Gulf Coast Campus. I'm going to start researching the cost to bring something similar to homebound elderly and sick members of our church. If anything ever happens with theses minerals maybe i could make it a reality. :) Just putting an idea in print for future reference.

Joseph...that's a wonderful idea! Hope your mineral interest turn into some big royalties so you can follow up on that soon. Also hope you are feeling better quickly. Putting you on my prayer list now!

Anyone computer savvy? When my wife and I built our home I hard wired it for Ethernet throughout. originally I wanted just a multi switch port but ended up with a wireless router with 4 ports. I found a one input multi output (8) switch. Can I hook this to my modem and get rid of the wireless router?

Maybe but not in many instances.

It will depend on your modem and service provider. Most of the time the modem will only provide 1 IP address. Your wireless router gets past this limitation by creating a separate network. It has a built in DHCP server to give out addresses on an isolated network within your house. Internet requests are "routed" using the 1 IP address provided by the modem.

You can use the 8 port switch to plug into one of the wireless router ports to gain additional hardwired ports in the house.

You may have security worries about having wireless in use. A properly configured router can have a firewall effect offering more security than the switch connected to the modem.

Properly configuring the wireless portion of the router can enable some pretty good security. My current router has two separate networks on it. My personal home network and a second network that I can make available to friends/family that comes over. The home network is configured with MAC address filtering (unique identifier assigned by the manufacturer) to only allow devices I enroll into it. Others are automatically rejected. The "guest" network does not used mac filtering. I can give the guest a password. While they share the same internet "uplink" they do not have access to my printers, server, or other devices on the network.

Key to security is strong passwords and keeping the device firmware updated. You can also disable the wireless portion of most wireless routers. Personally, I would not be willing to give up the wireless features in my house. 2 laptops, 2 iPhones, 2 MS Surfaces and 2 iPads, a wireless printer, and my Tivo unit (about impossible to get a cable there post construction) all use my wireless router.

Thanks Rick.

My current router has given me this problem before. It loses all passwords hence it locks me out. Fixed it about a year and half ago but I guess its time to replace it. Its about 10 years old. I work equipment like I do pick ups, til the wheels fall off. :)

They have made a "few" improvements the last 10 years! :)

Look at some of the Linksys offerings. I would get one with gigabit ports. Encryption types and firewalls have advanced so much. You might also consider one that has built in UBS (preferably USB 3) to allow you to connect a hard drive. This will allow you to share files across the network or back up files from other devices.

The gigabit ports should be connected to your high usage devices, like your DVR. You can always drop a gigabit switch on the line if you need more than 4.

Thanks to Rick I can use this line to brag about the winner of the Symetra Tour Championship (pro.golf tour) yesterday .She was a girl my son recruited out of high school to play for him at TU in Tulsa and who only graduated this last year from there after playing 4 years for him. Her name is Marita Engzelius and she's one of the sweetest young ladies you'd ever hope to meet! She shot a four day total of 278 and was tied with 2 other girls forcing a play off which she won with an eagle on the first playoff hole. The win earns her a LPGA Tour Card. So proud of her!

Since talk on the forum is a bit slow at the moment I thought I'd post this article I found. I'm certainly not giving investment advice. The best investment we have made was to buy our little bit of mineral rights from hubby's cousin back about 1968 for $150.00 which we had to borrow and hold on to it all these years until the SCOOP came along. Do you call that LOOOONNNNGGGG TERM CAPITAL GAINS??? :) Have a blessed day all!!!

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2517185-retirees-the-s-and-p-500-and-cash-are-all-you-need

My wife and i have talking about trying to make it up there either the week of Thanksgiving or the week after Christmas. All iffy right now. If Rick and Linda are up for a meet and greet that would be great. I'm sure my wife and my mom would like to meet yall, they've heard mention yall enough. But like i said its iffy right now but i'll repost something more firm later.

God Bless

That might be doable as far as I'm concerned. Will talk more later about it.

Rick...heard something about a shooting in Moore this afternoon. Know anything about it?

My sis just called and said she had a text that there was a lockdown of the Lindsay nursing home tonight as there was suppose to be an escape criminal over around Bradley (they think) which is 7 miles away. They'd stay away from us if they knew what a good shot my hubby is for sure!

Just let me know as your plans finalize and we'll see if we can get together for a bit.

Joseph S. Toche said:

My wife and i have talking about trying to make it up there either the week of Thanksgiving or the week after Christmas. All iffy right now. If Rick and Linda are up for a meet and greet that would be great. I'm sure my wife and my mom would like to meet yall, they've heard mention yall enough. But like i said its iffy right now but i'll repost something more firm later.

God Bless

Linda, just what I have seen on the news. The shooting was after a stabbing in the workplace and an off-duty officer working security there shot the suspect.

Thanks Rick...yes, we heard it on the news all day today. Sad and scary deal!!!

The young man found in the yard of a home in Chickasha is my second cousins husband. Any prayers for her would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph..guess I didn't hear about the man at Chickasha but our prayers will certainly be with the family. Do they know what happened to him?

Possible suicide.

Sorry to hear this. The family will be in my prayers.

Hey all. Looks like the week after Christmas we'll be coming to Oklahoma.

Joseph...after Christmas sounds like a better time for us as our kids are coming in from Florida for Thanksgiving starting tomorrow night and staying a little over a week. They are trying to talk us into going to Florida for a few weeks during Christmas holidays but that's probably not going to happen as I hate flying and to ride that far with my bad back could be more than I can take. It would be a warm vacation though. So, we'll have to see as the time get nearer.

So excited about some of our prayers being answered!!! My husband started those $2,000. shots in his eye last Thurs. and, would you believe, yesterday he could read some Bible verses on the computer and the menu on TV with that eye that he had been blinded in for about a year now!!! It's been from a condition called "Central Retinal Occlusion". The shots are called "Eyela". He still has a lot of healing to do but our God is an awesome God!!! Still waiting for my miracle on my back as the neurosurgeon is now saying he has done all he can do unless he does the radicle surgery that the first surgeon said I needed. Don't think I'm going there so I'll just increase my prayers. Would surely appreciate any help with those prayers! As I've said before "we're big believers in the power of prayer". Of course we need to pray that God's will not ours be done but I'm praying Devine healing is his will for us! Would also like to help you pray for the things you really need in your life as the Lord says to come to him in prayer for all things. Have a GREAT Sunday everyone!