Stephens County Chit-Chat

Joseph,

Is his guard unit out of Norman?

I got to meet Lloyd and Lea Saturday.

We were in the Phoenix area running a half marathon, and they put up with our unknown loose schedule and drove no telling how long to meet us for dinner. If the Phoenix metro area was in the NorthEast part of the US it would be a state by itself!! We really enjoyed having dinner with you and the conversation.

The IMS Arizona Half Marathon ranks up at the top of my list of ones to repeat. Very well ran and a great area to run in. The temps were a bit high for this time of the year, but they had plenty of water stops to help make up for it. Luckily it stayed a bit overcast.

Thanks again Lloyd and Lea!!

That's o.k. Joe, I would like to get up there myself before it's all said and done. Thanks to Rick, Linda and a few others for being our eyes in Oklahoma.

Rick,

I'm not sure, the get together is in OKC but he lives in Bray, on Duncan Lake Rd.

Give me a yell if you have extra time when you are here. I'm not far from the Norman Reserve Center.

Rick...I told L&L I thought they would really enjoy meeting you if they got the chance and I knew you would really enjoy meeting them too! Didn't know your wife was going when you said you were going th Phoenix. Does she run too? I can't believe you guys travel so far to run. Now that's dedication!!!!

Ditto Rick. Always great to make new friends of like minds and interests - even if one of those just happens to be TheDiggins. Introducted them to one of our favorite pizza spots - even if it is the sister to the one in our neck of the woods. We'll look forward to their coming back out to enjoy our great weather and our next jaunt back to OK.

Thanks for making the time for it to work out.

Linda,

She runs and is better at it than I am! She has to wait on me at the end, or she can go have a shower and breakfast!! She has ran a few more events than I have. In 2013, I ran 21 half marathons and she ran 24. We are doing a full in Fort Worth this weekend. Next month we will attempt NC, SC, KY, and TN. In May it is DE, ME, NH, RI, CT, MA, MD, and NJ. But those 8 will be on the same trip! We'll see if this fat boy can make it though those!

Lloyd,

Phoenix will be near the top of the list to go back to but it may be a bit

Rick...must be nice to be in that good shape! I get winded just walking to the kitchen which to look at me I do WAY too often. lol Only kind of exercise I can really say I enjoy is water exercise especially deep water walking and In Oklahoma you can't enjoy a pool except about 3 months a year unless you have it inside. In this small town there is nowhere to go for water exercise so I've been thinking if the ole wells get to making enough of having an endless pool indoors built. Anyone know anything about the cost and maintenance problems involved in those?

We have a sweet little 7 yr. old grandson that got the big ears that came from my mom's and hubby's side of the family too. Hubby said he had big ears when he was young and so did my brother and dad but all grew to fit them by the time they were out of junior high. Our oldest son had them but he grew to fit them by the time he got in high school and they never seemed to bother him a bit. He said as he laughed once when he was in grade school "Some of the kids tease me about my "showcase ears". lol Well, this grandson (his son) has been teased quite a bit lately about his ears so his mom and dad are thinking about having his ears pinned. Things like this are what I believe the Lord has blessed us in order that we might help to correct. I had made him up a picture album last year of all the guys in the family with their big ears and after he and his dad looked at it he said "Dad, God gave us Keck boys special ears, didn't he?" Our son said "you got that right, son, but if you ever want to change them, we can get that done" Grandson said "No, I think I'll just keep the ears God gave me" That brought a tear to our eyes and we thought everything was okay. BUT, now with all the teasing that's gone on it may be time to rethink that. Next question~anyone know about price of that surgery and the pros and cons from yours or others experiences of doing the surgery as far as risk go. I know they have already talked to a doctor a couple of years ago but was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience.

Gosh, Rick, I'm glad you started this topic so those that don't want to read our ramblings don't have to. I wonder how many sneak a peek at these post even though they are not strickly about oil wells! lol

Linda,

I need to be in better shapes. I can tell from run to run when I am up or down 7-10 pounds. It really makes a difference. Truly, I need to lose 40-50 lbs. I'm a much better eater than I am a runner.

Base on my experience with hot tubs and pools, maintenance is relative to the quality of the units and workmanship on the install. They are all a pain keeping the water chemistry correct. And indoors presents special issues. The humidity created, mold etc. You have to build a special room to reduce issues with its own HVAC system. The total operation costs can be pretty steep when you count the electricity, chemicals, and maintenance.

All that said, we love our hot tub (outdoors) although we have not used it as much the last few years. We have an indoor Jacuzzi tub in the master bath that I'm thinking about taking out. It was used 1 time in the 8 years we have lived here.

LINDA....Having big ears when you are a kid will darn sure build character and make you tougher. Of course. back in the 50's, you had to play the hand you were dealt !! The kids told me, I looked like a taxi cab going down the street with the doors open !! :) Didn't bother me...bother me...bother me !! lol

Jerry

Linda,

Believe it or not i was born and raised in Biloxi, MS. within a 1/2 mile of the Gulf of Mexico and i learned to water ski in Oklahoma on Clear Creek Lake. Summer of 76......good times. :)

Hey Jerry... funny thing my brother said he was told that very same thing by some kid when he was in middle school and it was the first time he even knew his ears were any different from any one elses! Kids can really be cruel sometimes and many times without even knowing that's what they are doing. Best thing we can do is teach our own kids and grandkids how to love people for who they are (children of the king) and not what they look like because everyone has flaws of some kind.

Joseph...I think many a kid learned to ski and swim in Clear Creek Lake and yes, those were fun times!

Hey Rick...remember we have seen you in person if only for a short time. It was long enough to know you jest when you say you need to lose weight!

Came home in tears today after my Epidural as I was hurting just like I was before my first one. I think the problem is they told me to be there at 9:00 and I layed in the hard flat bed (I guess you call it that) for four hours for the less than 10 minute proceedure. When I got up it was like I had a severe catch in my right hip and of course the pain down the leg and foot again. We left after 1:30 and on top of that I heard my doctor makes appts. starting at 8:00 for procedures and he doesn't get there until 9:00 and he goes to lunch around noon. All while we are suppose to not have anything by mouth for at least four hours before we come! So even though I was up at 4:00 am so I could have the food I have to take with the Neurotin that's still a long time for this old gal to go without food! But I'm glad my doc. had time to have his lunch everyday. He did furnish us with saltines and choice of a can of carb. beverage after our procedure. You see we sign papers when we go there saying we understand that the doctors own the hospital. Thanks for letting me vent AGAIN!

BUT after I got home our son came by and he said it's supposed to be better after the first day. Sure enough after several ice packs and getting back on the anti-inflammatories for my ole osteo I'm feeling much better tonight. Still have the numbness down the leg and foot but the pain is beginning to lessen. I may be back to trackin rigs again soon. I can't stand so many getting to see the lights of those new wells without me!

You get to feelin' better Ms Rigtracker! ! ! We don't want you missin' out on the sights and miss all of your first hand reports! Be careful out in that frozen weather and we'll go outside and soak up some of this beautiful 80 degrees for ya!! That's ok .. come summer you will be sendin' my orneryness right back at me while we are toasting at 115!!! I'll be borrowin' Preston's sunscreen :) lol

Neighbor and long time friend Charlie Jones (owner of KBLP Radio) passed away last night in Norman Hospital and I'm sure will be remembered with a celebration of his life this Sat. afternoon at 2:00pm at the Erin Springs Baptist Church south of Lindsay, Ok. Lunch will also be served for the family at the church at 12:00 noon Sat. Our hearts and prayers go out for his wife, Barbara, and family. Charlie will really be missed by so many in and around this community! Charlie was a huge Elvis Presley fan! Hopefully Elvis, Charlie and the Lord are laughing and quoting Elvis in one of Charlie's favorite phases "Thank ya, thank ya very much!!!" And that's what we say to Charlie "Thank ya, thank ya very much!"

Sounds like a Life well Lived! An Elvis Fan is a man after my own heart!! :) My brother was a great Elvis imitator 'back in the day'. Had that leg/hip swing down real good too. Mom hated it! lol

Just read an interesting article in the Oklahoman today that says that a couples 22,000 donation to the church was disallowed on their taxes because the church's tithing statement lacked the proper wording. Someone ask "what is the proper wording?" and they said there are several wordings that are acceptable but this one is the best one to cover church and contributions. "Pursuant to Internal Revenue Code requirements for substantiation of charitable contributions, no goods or services were provided in return for the Tax Deductible Contributions." I knew this was the case for donations to anything but didn't know you had to have it written on your proof of contribution. Very good to know.

When we sold out our supply business our accountant said that we might get audited for that year because if you showed an income which was a lot over the amount you usually turned in it sent up a red flag to the IRS. Sure enough he was right. I don't want to ever go through that again but if I do I want everything worded just right because they picked everything to death!!! We bought a golf cart and paid for it with a company check at the time and did golf with some of our customers and they (IRS) wanted to know each time we used it what the customers name was, when it was and what we talked about before, during and after that had to do with business!!! WHO KNEW!!!! On top of that hubby had just brought in a book he had bought at a garage sale that told what could happen to you if you committed tax fraud! So I lost a lot of sleep until that audit was over and done with. Even had a health problem that was brought on by stress the doc. said:( Don't know whether I should have sued the author of the book, the IRS or my husband for bringing in that darn book! lol

Just wanted to give everybody a heads up as many on this forum will have those big incomes that the IRS are not used to seeing. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the heads up Linda. If by chance our lease in 18 and 19 2n 5w should turn into something should we be incorporated?

I really don't know Joseph. We already had a corporation from when we had an oil field supply business. We sold it after three years and only sold the supplies to another supply company and kept the building which was paid for and kept the corporation instead of desolving it as we had a safety business under that corporation too. So when we started this old royalty business the accountant said we should give the corp. the royalty as we had some old losses we could take off of any capital gains we made (or something like that). I just no good at that kind of stuff so I leave it to the accountant to do all of that and to tell me what to do. I do know that corporations can't donate to churches and take it off as a deduction and I did know that if you donated to a church or anything else you could not deduct it if you received any benefit from it. I just didn't know it had to be on your statement of donations. I jokingly said "I guess that means if we donated some furniture or carpet to the church we can't sit or walk on it" lol