Stephens County Chit-Chat

Rick, Congrats. How could you be fat with that kind of workout? It's an effort for me to walk down to the mailbox. But just wait 'til I get my new knees I'll be out there with you......yeah right!

I have had two new knees for about 3 years now and I still can hardly walk to the mailbox. Admire you folks that can run anywhere.

When I called our son yesterday he had just finished watching his sons (our two grandsons ages 7 and 9) run in the marathon in Tulsa. The nine year old beat his last time (which was a really good one but I don't remember what) by four seconds. Randy said only three grown men and a boy about 13 beat Deacon. At that time he was waiting for his wife (our daughter in law) to finish the 5K. He's never been a runner himself as speed has not been in our family much. That's why golf was a good sport for our boys. (Well, Preston used to be pretty fast before the first time he broke his leg in five places and was screwed back together). Randy says he thinks Deacon is the fastest kid his age in Tulsa. Our boys were good in baseball, good shooters in basketball and good in the little bit of football they played but never were the speedsters on the team so when they started playing golf it was ideal for them. Randy's little boys got that speed from his mother's side of the family. His oldest boy is not a fast runner either but his mom's granddad was a track and football star for UCO and is in the Football Coaches Hall of Fame after coaching at Carl Albert several years ago. You won't ever see me running a marathon as I fall over the stripes on the basketball court! lol

3.2 earthquake hit Edmond, Ok. today and another 2.4 just hours later. That brings the total for this weekend alone in Oklahoma they said to 22!!! That's according to the news tonight.

Linda, we are having earthquakes around the DFW area too. Small ones but still earthquakes.

Correction on the second post back: Should read that our oldest "Grandson's" mom's granddad was a track star~not our oldest "boy's" granddad

They were VERY rare around Oklahoma until about 2 or 3 years ago.

Don't worry, it's just the ground settling to accommodate all that new water....'cuz it might rain, and.....

Hey Linda, who was the CA coach...Jim Harris or Al Miller? I'm CA Alum.

His name was Jake Jacobson. I'm sure Jake was a nick name. He would be close to 100 if he were still living. I only knew him for a short while before his death but he was a great guy to know (always kept the little ones entertained with his tricks and slide of hand). I loved him right away~a good Christian man too~at least at the last of his life. His wife was named Myrtle E. and she was a little spit fire of a gal. She passed away last year.

Hmm...doesn't ring a bell from CA...Hall Of Fame has him listed as A.D. "Jake" Jacobson as a coach from an OKC school...CA is in Midwest City but he may have been there before my time...I'm sure he was a great man.

Hmmm Fellow alumni from the Mid-Del School systems!

Well, Kenneth, I may be mixed up on what high school it was that he coached at but I don't think so. I wish this question had come up as I saw his grand daughter yesterday and I could have ask her. I will first chance I get. She went to school at John Marshall (was Salutatorian to be exact) I really hope I spelled Salutatorian correctly~that would be bad to spelled that word wrong~lol And it could have been that school but I really think it was Carl Albert. I'll let you know if I find out. We didn't know he was a track star at UCO (I'm sure it was probably Central State when he went there) until we went to the golf coaches office in the gym up there when our son was signing to play golf for them and we saw a plaque with Jake's name on it. I'll let you know!

Bought myself one of those "Black Friday Sales Early" 7" Nextbook Tablets. I have messed with that thing for hours yesterday until it ran down and half the day today and I'm about ready to throw it against the wall! Every time I go to do something I have trouble and just about the time I figure it out and get it all typed in I hit the wrong button and erase everything! ERRRRR! Same reason I used for using a flip phone instead of a Smart Phone for the not so smart. I couldn't get my same email address transferred over and after talking to one guy who told me I'd have to download Outlook first and then call him back and he'd tell me what to do. I found it, downloaded it and still couldn't get the email problem fixed. So I called back and talked to another lady who said I should get into my settings which I couldn't figure out how to do at that moment. She said "well I can't help you if you can't get into your settings". I said "Just tell me what to do after I get in there and when I figure out how to get it downloaded I'll do it so she told me what to click in. I figured that out, downloaded it and I typed it in. Still didn't work. I called them (our server) again and this time another lady said "Oh, no, you will have to call the maker of your tablet and give them the information that we gave you (pop.windstream.net, etc.) and let them set you up with your email." lol So my home phone battery was running down and I get out from under the blanket I've had over my lap and go get another phone, get back, cover up get my tablet back up and can't find a phone number in the only book that was with the tablet so I get my laptop back out, boot it up and find a phone number for the Nextbook Tech. department and call. The message was"our business hours are 8:00 to 5:00 on weekdays so you will need to call back." ERRRRR! So, I messed with it a while longer and put another GMail address on it, click into the forum, get signed up and log in (to one of the Texas forums by mistake) lol Can't find a place where it will let me change it to this one and about that time my tablet battery runs down! ERRRRR! So, I gave up for tonight. At least hubby fixed me a cup of hot chocolate to mellow me out so I may tackle it again~before I throw it against the wall~you don't really think I'd do that, do you??? ol There, I've vented! What I really wanted to tell you guys and gals is that if you see some new gal on the forum that sounds like me but has an assumed name know it's just me coming to you from a new email address because I couldn't figure out how to get my old email address and identity! lol OR I can just stick with this old laptop. Too old to learn new tricks! Good Night All!!!

I understand your frustration. I bought a Microsoft Surface 2 Pro relight before I went to the NARO conference a few weeks ago. Getting used to Windows 8 has been an adventure. Other than that I love it. It kind of fit the role of a large tablet and small laptop.

I still like the Apple functions with a laptop so I did order one if the new ipad mini 2. Hopefully it will be here Monday so I can start getting used to it.

I think Iā€™m too connected with all of this stuff!!

I ran n another half marathon today in Tulsa. Tempature was 24, wind chill 12 when I started. Thank God it warmed up during the race or I would have froze to death!!! It was 27(wind chill 19) when I finished. :). Half #19 of the year in the books!! Seriously though, this is the absolute coldest it has ever been for me to run one if these.

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/Runners-turnout-for-the-Williams-Route-66-Marathon-in-downtown-Tulsa-despite-freezing-temperatures

Good story Linda, I feel your pain!

I intentionally gave myself a new Windows 7 desktop last year for Christmas so I wouldn't have to deal with Win 8. I'm getting my daughter a Win 8 laptop this Christmas, that way I can ease into it without it being my primary computer.

Linda,

About 6 months ago I bought a new Lenovo laptop and immediately had my computer guru remove Windows 8 and install Windows 7. He stated that Windows 8 should never have been born.Good luck with your new toy.

Clint Liles

Rick...I just talk to my son that lives in Tulsa and he, his wife, his brother in law and my 17 yr. old grandson ran in that marathon also. They ran the relay and each ran a little over 5 miles. I believe he said that his brother in law and our grandson did their's in about 48 minutes and he and his wife took about an hour. Thing about it is our son has not even been running any before that! His wife and her brother go running about 3 times a week and our grandson runs some but not too much. He walks in golf all the time so he stays in good shape but he and our son have not been known for their speed. That's why I said golf was always such a good sport for them. Our son from birth had tight ankle cords and never has been too speedy. Anyway, he said while he was running and when he stopped for a drink a man in a wheel chair passed him and that man did the whole thing by himself! Randy said there were some pretty good hills to climb. Son told someone "that man there is a WHOLE LOT tougher than I am". Wow, what a deal!

Once when our younger son was a senior in high school he got a terrible hurting in his chest and we were afraid he was having a heart attack (had been told earlier that he had a heart mummer). Come to find out it was Pleurisy (which they said is an inflammation around any organ in your body) around his lungs. The doctor said it was probably caused by his playing golf in the cold air the day before and sucking in that cold air. He said if he got to hurting as bad as the doc. thought he would to bring him back to the emergency room and they would give him a knock out shot. And he did. So just be aware that could happen. Take Care!

Back to the computer stuff. My tablet has an Android operating system and my husband has always said he doesn't like them. He was also saying just now that they have come out or are coming out with a free update to the Windows 8 that makes it more user friendly. Said you get your start button among other things back. Me, I'm sticking with my Windows XP on my laptop until they force me to change and it won't be long I'm sure. The laptop had Vista on it and I had him change it to the XP because I hated it. I think it was an earlier disaster.

Rick, you are an IRON MAN. Way to go!

It's 40 and raining in Houston and I am freezing just sitting in my house with the heat on just looking at it.

You are inspiring.

Martha, I'm in Alvin. Had to take the dog out, only time he didn't stop and smell every blade of grass. Did his business and dragged me back inside.