Stale royalty check

When my friend passed on I inherited everything he owned. I have been through probate. I have a royalty check from February of 2012 in my friend’s name that he gave me before he passed away. The check was issued by Chesapeake. My first attorney found out that no other check has been reissued nor has this one been cashed. How do I get this check reissued? I have an estate account open in my friend’s name and my name. I am new to this and totally lost on what to do. Please help?

Christina in oklahoma

Contact the royalty department at Chesapeake and request a re-issue. You will need the date, check number, name of your friend, owner number (which is somewhere on the check) and probate documents to prove that you are the correct person. It is possible that the funds were given to the unclaimed funds at the OK treasurer’s office since it is past the seven years hold time. You might want to check there first. It is also possible that the well(s) has/have been sold and you may need to contact the new operator. Chesapeake is still in business so start there. They can probably tell you if the funds were turned over to the state.

Re: M. Barnes

The money has not been turned over to the treasurer’s unclaimed money department. I am unable to get anyone to answer a phone call or call back from Chesapeake. The attorney who handled probate for me sent two certified letters to chesapeake with a copy of the check, death certificate, the will, and probate papers with no response back from Chesapeake. I know Fourpoint became the designated operator in 2017. Should I try contacting Fourpoint instead? This check was a pooling bonus. Thank you for your help I desperately need all the help I can get.

Thank you again, Christina

Have you sent a certified letter return receipt to Chesapeake? I find I get better responses from those since they know I am tracking them. Contact Fourpoint as well!

Visit with your attorney, since Chesapeake filed bankruptcy it may depend on the timing of that check.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.