Spacing Unit to determine DOI

In order for me to calculate my payment decimal, I need to know the spacing unit for the well, but the DOs don’t tell me the spacing units. How do I determine that? Is it always 640? What about multi-unit horizontal well? Any advice.

In general, multi units are two 640 units. Sometimes they “space” at 12 80 but calculate at 640. The formula is net acres/spacing acres (actual) x royalty x % perforations in your section.

The top and west tiers of sections are not always a perfect 640, so that is the first thing I check if my decimal is not correct. I also check for rivers. The Division Order should have any corrections in teeny tiny print to help you calculate. Let me know if you need help.

PS this is for OK, you will have a slightly different answer for Texas, so would help if you post this in the correct county and state.

1 Like

I found a calculation on the Oklahoma corporation commissions website. Look for mineral rights guide book. Although i am still confused about what’s considered the total acreage on multi unit. Not sure if it’s the acreage included only in the mineral owners spacing order with their section or the sum of all spacing orders in all sections for the well.