Slope County, ND - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

Hi All,

glad to join the group. I’m in a lot of others. But I just got an offer to lease from Empire Oil for our interests in Sec 10, 134N, 104W. The offer is $100 per acre, 15% royalty for 3 years and extend 3 years. I think that is a very poor offer. I don’t do extensions. And 20% is they going rate. I have no idea what bonus offers are in Slope. But $100 seems low. I remember my Mom accepting offers like that when Mckenzie County was just getting going. We kick ourselves now but who knew. Anyway I thought I’d share the offer I got and see if anyone else had news.

I forgot to add the file number on that Marathon rig at section 29, T136N - 99W is 26223…

Well,… According to the drilling rig list Marathon rig # H&P 259 is located at section 29, T136N - 99W ??? and the date given is 9/12/13. Wow, snuck in there…

Drilling rig symbol is now located at section 29, T136N Range99W on the GIS map…(smile)

On today’s ndic daily report they posted this for Slope. I’m guessing it is for Whiting/Empire Oil has been leasing up this general area this year, as well as the August State auction.

GEOKINETICS USA, INC., ND 22 3-D, 134-104, SLOPE

The Rundle Trust drilling by Marathon has been drilling for 29 days now…The GIS map shows to be updated today…Symbols remain the same?

Hi Gwen,

If you haven’t already checked out the NDIC website https://www.dmr.nd.gov/oilgas/ it’s a wealth of information.

On that site is a GIS Map. If you pull that up, and enter “find section” then enter your data T 135 R 99 S 29. Then click on zoom out, once. click on your parcel, which should show in green and it will better show you the Township/Ranges for that area. You can also click on “pan” to move map around.

You will note that your parcel is one T/R south (approx 6 miles) of where the rig is currently drilling. (rig is designated with a little green colored rig). The yellow dots within the T/R’s are permits of potential wells to be drilled.

On the right side of the GIS Map, there is an icon for drilling/spacing. If you click on that, it should highlight in pink, 4 separate spacing parcels that Marathon Oil is intending to permit and drill. Your acres are right next to one of the spacings to the west and another 2 miles to the east. A 3rd spacing unit to the north, within your T/R is also highlighted.

You’re in a great location if they find good production with the wells they intend to drill.

As to explain the T/R you will note on the GIS Map, each T/R is 36 sections, 6 across and 6 down. Each section is approx 1 mile x 1 mile, so each T/R is approx 6 miles x 6 miles. Variations of section sizes would vary along the north and west sections of each T/R due to curvature of the earths geography. each section holds approx 640 acres.

The T numbers are lowest at SD border, increasing each 6 miles with highest T numbers at the Canadian border.

The R numbers are lowest at MN border, increasing each 6 miles with highest R numbers at the MT border.

I hope that answers your question. If not I can try to find a website that would explain it more clearly. I do think you’ll understand much more, if you get familiar with the NDIC website and all it offers. Along with this Mineral Rights forum, you should learn much.

Good Luck,

Susan

Thanks Susan…definitely have a bit better understanding of townships and sections…

Marathon leased mineral rights from me early last year in township 135…range 99…sections 29,30 and 32…

In November of last year they leased township 135…range 99…section 33…so assumed they were planning to do something…

its nice to see them getting started…Here’s hoping…

Mike, was your lease with Blanca Peak, or Chesapeake? Hopefully it was with Marathon, so you’ll likely get a well sooner, than later.

Anyone with leases held by Chesapeake are basically sitting on the sidelines without much hope of seeing activity. Hopefully that means when our leases come due, that we’ll have lots of activity and other oil companies will have interest to lease.

1995 was the last time we’d gotten a lease in Slope County, until Chesapeake showed interest in 2011. 2016 might be our last lease to sign, if production is good and several companies drilling the area.

Susan

Susan…That is certainly good news…I will keep a close eye on this site for further updates…Thanks so much…Any info you can post for me would be appreciated…Thanks…Gwen

Gwen, I keep tabs on the daily permits, so when Marathon permits another Slope well, I will post it here in the Slope forum.

I took a minute to click on your icon and noticed you’re listed for Nova Scotia. I was in Halifax in 2010 and loved it. I also have a friend living at Antigonish, NS.

Susan

Thanks Susan…that will be awesome…yes love Nova Scotia…I live about 50 miles outside of Halifax…

Hi Mike and all Slope mineral owners,

Today’s NDIC permit list, added another Marathon Oil permit, and a happy surprise that it wasn’t for the 3rd of the 4 planned spacings. It is instead, another Rundle permit, for the same location they are currently drilling.

They’ve been working on that since Sept 12th spud date, and I worried they’d had a setback when that blizzard hit the area same time the Black Hills of SD got hit.

Perhaps instead, they’ve found great production and want to do one of those multiple drilling pads. Lets hope its good news for our area, finally. I hope they get a chance to drill the Powell well prior to end of year or before the winter sets into that area. Even better would be the Powell well to have great production too.

#26223 -MARATHON OIL COMPANY, RUNDLE TRUST 11-29TH, NWNW 29-136N-99W, SLOPE CO. WILDCAT, Permit Date: 8-19-13

#26794 -MARATHON OIL COMPANY, RUNDLE TRUST 21-29TH, NWNW 29-136N-99W, SLOPE CO. WILDCAT, Permit Date: 10-22-2013

Good deal Snues and all interested partys…It sure sounds like they are heading out on another leg…My Brother inlaw use to be a tool pusher on some drilling rigs here in Texas and I just got done talking to him…He said that could mean they have run into oil on the first leg and it might also mean they hadn’t…So they are making another run in another directional leg…We shall hope for the best…We have minerals in the next township East of which our two year option comes up in April 2014…I hope this area pops up into the main stream…(smile)

Hi Mike, I did immediately think that there is trouble, so they’re redrilling, as I have noticed it for other areas. I sure hope not, instead hope its just to put another tap into a good producer.

I’m curious if they will use the 2 yr option on your lease, or let it expire. I do think its a tad early for them to decide if its going to be productive enough to keep the lease. The current drilling won’t come off confidential list until March 12th, so with your April expiration, they’ll only get results from one Marathon well at that time.

RWK, I wonder if the 10,000 ft laterals were more of a HBP ploy, so they could get away with having to pay out less bonus money, knowing they couldn’t drill all the 4500ft laterals within the lease terms.

With the multiple well pads being pursued now, I wonder if thats more of a reason to create less disruption of lands, having so many pumpjacks in each section, scattered about. I do hope the NDIC figures this all out, prior to having the invasion of 1000’s of wells south of the interstate.

It’s amazing how much is changing in western ND and will continue to do so. Gone are the days of driving down the farm to market roads and having every farmer along the way, giving a wave like they know you. Kind of sad.

Susan

I think the odds that they hit oil is good. There is alot of ND that is passed over for the moment because it will not support an inefficient 10,000 foot lateral well that otherwise might be profitable with a 4,500 lateral

Gwen,

Wow, your section 30 is among the spacing unit’s Marathon docketed for. There isn’t a permit for that spacing yet, but should be within the next few months. How exciting for you. I hope Marathon gave you good lease terms.

Susan

I was wondering if someone could explain the townships and ranges…I live in Canada and am completely in the dark…lol

Some of my mineral rights are section 29…township 135…range 99…I’m assuming that it is close to where they are drilling 29-136-99…but how close or is it the same area…

Very curious and trying to understand things a bit more now that drilling has started…

I am happy to have joined this forum as I have learned much already from the information on the GIS server. I have mineral rights at T135, R100, S3. Was offered a low bonus with 5 year term and 15% with Marathon. I attempted to negotiate a higher bonus and percentage, but the land man state he could not budge at all. I have not accepted this offer yet. Any thoughts from those in this forum. THANKS.

FER…Snues is right, in stating that I would sit tight and see what the nearby drilling comes up with? You would definitely be setting in a position of control to get alot of dollar’s for your minerals if the wells come in as high producers? So lets hope for the best…Mike