Slope County, ND - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

I have been under the impression that the Tyler was most promising in Slope County. Am I mistaken?

The Bakken and Three Forks are pretty close together and I just don’t think that they would fail to drill a few hundred feet deeper after drilling around 10,000 feet to see what the Three Forks had to offer if the Bakken wasn’t encouraging. On the other hand, they may not have drilled 13,500 feet to the Red River. My friend Wes Luke has a Bakken well that Chesapeake walked away from without bothering to frack. I am willing and I would be thrilled for the Three Forks to be productive throughout Slope county.

I googled ( ND three forks formation map ) and clicked on the first map on the left and it shows the Three Forks Formation under all of Slope County… There is a very small area in the North East corner of Slope that is in the Bakken. Take a look and see what you all think…Mike

Checking out the ND State auction. Pacer/Marathon did not pay much but, they are still clearly interested in Slope County.

The state auctions are always interesting. It puzzles me about Slope County, T 136-R 99-S 16 and LSM Energy Inc paying $330 an acre, when the rest of the auctions in Slope were under $55. Who was bidding against them to raise the price that high and what does geology say about that particular section, to warrant that price?

Does anyone have any idea who LSM represents? What about 556 SKYLINE INVESTMENTS LLC?

It’s good to see Marathon still has Pacer picking up acreage. I wonder how long before they pursue it. I remember them paying huge $ when they were bidding against Chesapeake ( aka-Classic Petroleum) for acreage in the August 2011 auction. I think this auction had 5 yr leases, so they’re over 1 1/2 years into that 5yr term already. Guessing if they want to recoop some of that leasing expense they’ll pursue within the next 3 years.

Susan, I wonder what the bonus’ would have been if Chesapeake was still around?

The above listing is from the Aug 2011 auction. The other 3/4 section they picked up at the May 2013(listed below) were at a bargain, in comparison. Interesting to see the same company, so they hold majority MA in that section, hope they drill.

Tom,

It would have been interesting for sure, especially if CHK would have hit payola on the test wells they’d drilled, rather than the goose eggs they mostly got.

The August 2011 auction bids were huge for all the counties in that auction. I’m not exactly sure, but I’m thinking it was shortly afterwards, the state changed the royalty from 1/6 to 3/16 on several of the more productive counties. It didn’t change in Slope, but I noticed the auction bids, following the raise in royalty; lowered bids across the board in all counties.

The major players in the Bakken zone, are too busy with new strategy in how many wells they can fit into a spacing, as well as just going for the big payouts; so the interest for Slope County will still be a few years out.

We can only hope that good things will come to those that wait. LOL

One thing for sure, if we have to wait; they’ll have had many years to learn the best ways to drill and produce the oil that’s been waiting. Even in the couple years I have been following the activity, much has changed, and the IP’s and monthly production amounts have improved. Some is probably luck or location, but I think much is from improved knowledge.

RW Kennedy Location in Slope is T134-R102 S10, S14, S15, S21, S22 ALL, S23 ALL, S26ALL You could call me at 406-399-1272 Thank You

Jarold, I sent you a friend request, I wrote down your number and I suggest you delete the comment with your phone number.

You all may find this interesting.

http://www.milliondollarwayblog.com/2013/06/june-2013-dockets-mros-…

In case you hadn’t seen this in a different blog site, this is interesting for those of us in the wait. Guessing that most of Slope county will likely be drilled within the Tyler formation, our wait is possibly going to be 5-7 years, unless Marathon Oil finds magic with the 4 proposed drill sites that are listed on the dockets for June 26th.

January 30, 2013
Energy Generation Conference
Lynn Helms, Director, NDIC
YouTube source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrEdX348qQ

the utube clip is just under 1 hour long, but what’s posted below was paraphrased from it.

Spearfish formation: currently on the back burner; still active; but quiet. Canadians are happy with the results, but not the well costs; the Bakken is pricing them out. Mostly exploratory now, but sitting back, waiting, expecting to be fully active in 3 - 5 years, at hundreds of wells/year. One small area in Bottineau County will have 2,400 wells; 24 wells/square mile. Biggest concern: providing electricity to all these wells.

Tyler formation: a bit farther out in the future. One company cored the Tyler in 2012. The “next big thing” after the Bakken/Three Forks. Estimating one billion bbls recoverable. So, if Spearfish is 3 - 5 years and the Tyler is later, think about 5 - 7 years from now for the big breakthrough.

Don’t forget the Red River formation.

Thats true, lets hope the Red River formation in Slope, has good production.

I notice on the dockets, that Marathon is pursuing the Tyler. With the confidential status, it’ll be 2014 before we get a peak at the results, if they drill sooner than later.

I listened to the State Dockets this AM, regarding the 4 - 1280 spacing parcels, Marathon Oil plans to drill the Tyler formation in 135/99 and 136/99.

They were asked when they intended to drill, and the response was late in the 3rd quarter of this year for the first well, so I’m guessing September.

None the less, its very exciting to have activity in NE Slope.

They listed each parcel numerically, and didn’t specify which would be first drilled.

Their working interest % varied from 90.72%, 91.8%, 81.5%, 79.0%; so aside from the state auction parcels they leased; they must have been leasing up quite a few mineral owners.

RW Kennedy,

Today I pulled up the GIS map server to see if the Marathon 1280 spacings from the Tuesday dockets were showing. They are, but I also noticed other 1280 spacings in Slope county nearby.

The 4 Marathon ones were numbered 19215; and the ones to the north of that, were numbered 19640 and 18458. I didn’t search beyond this general area to see if there were others, but my question is; how do I find which company put in for those spacings and the date if possible?

I tried to find it through search on the docket page, as well as the gis map site, with no luck. Any idea where to search?

Thanks,

Susan

Snues, if a permit was applied for the operator requesting the permit will show up in a well search for Scout Ticket just as if you were looking for production.

Snues, looking up those file numbers 18458 originally belonged to G3 Operating and then to Petro Hunt. 19215 and 19640 belonged to Brigham, 19640 is PNC, cancelled. 19215 belongs to Statoil now

Snues, that is what I come up with providing those are indeed file numbers.

From those working interest numbers below, I would say someone was doing some speculating.

RW,

The number I am referring to, is on the GIS map, when you click to add spacings to the map. The spacings are in a deep pink color, and in the middle of that is a number. Those numbers aren’t the same as the well permit numbers.

I’m guessing there is a place to find who spaced the parcels, and with all 4 of the 1280 spacings Marathon docketed all having the same number 19215 in them.

Thanks,

Susan

RW,

I often see messages of people calling the NDIC, but I never thought to do that. Of course, they of all people should be able to answer that mystery.

Curiosity would define it in a nutshell. I have no way to know how long 1280 spacing has been around, and just what companies may have pursued that area before. I’ve closely watched Slope County happenings for about 2 years, and didn’t see it being spaced in the dockets.

I’m thinking each oil company is assigned a “number” that’s specific to them, regardless of where the spacing is and for all counties.

With several different #'s right in that area, it would tell me it just wasn’t Chesapeake getting those spacings.

I will call NDIC Monday and also ask if it’s available with the basic.

Thanks,

Susan

RW,

It just dawned on me that I hadn’t been location specific for the GIS Map to see the drilling/spacings I’m referring to.

136/99/29-32 is the one furthest north that Marathon docketed this time; also docketing 135/99/3-10, 135/99/27-34, and 135/99/30-31.

the extra spacings with different numbers within them, are to the northeast a bit of those listed above.

Thanks