Slope County, ND - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

I am wondering how many acres would be in this description. ( Lots 3 & 4 and the south 1/2 of section 1 ) This is located in Morton County…Mike

Mike, My guess would be 400 (+ - ) total acres, in any County.

320 acres for the South 1/2. Typically a “Lot” would be 40 acres, but in the north and west of some townships, the acres vary, due to geography or many other reasons.

Hope this isn’t confusing, but in a township, there are 36 sections. Sections 1-6 across the north of the township can vary in size, as well as the west side of township, which would include Sections 6, 7, 18, 19, 30, 31. I am unsure if it would ever include a section on the east or south sides of township.

Some lot size variation can be less than 40, and in various amounts ( + - ). We have minerals in one section that the total number of acres with that section are 757.12; each of the lots 1-4 were huge. Will make things interesting if a well is ever drilled and the spacing unit has to include all the extra acres.

Okay, the last entry I made on this forum was incorrect…The description should have read. ( Lots 3 and 4, and the S 1/2 NW 1/4 of section 1, Morton County…What would the total approx. acres be? I’m sorry about making the mistake on the prvious entry…Mike

( + - ) 160 total acres depending on the lot sizes.

Thanks again…Mike

Looks like things are cooling down for anything to happen in Slope County as far as drilling goes? Has any one heard any thing by the so called grape vine…(smile)

If you believe what they say about peak oil, that we aren’t running out of oil but do not have the capacity to get it out of the ground fast enough, you could postulate that we need alot more wells. As bakken wells decline pretty fast anyway, to 50 to 75 barrels a day in 3 to 4 years, I can see where we may need to get alot more area into production at 40 to 50 barrels a day just to meet our needs. I would say that 99% of our commercial carrying capacity depends on esentially diesel and it would take more than a decade to convert what could be converted, trucks, trains, possibly ships to natural gas and provide fueling stations. There will always be a need for oil, small engines and aircraft wouldn’t respond well to highly compressed natural gas. My 125cc motorcycle hates the 10% alcohol in regular fuel, I doubt it could do more than idle if fed natural gas. Imagine a 747 jet aircraft that could carry only 1/3 of the passengers and little to no luggage because the rest of the space was taken up by fuel tank. The produces will always go to the area with the best return on investment. The operators know there is oil in Slope county, but I think they are looking for more right now than possibly doubling or trippling their money over a 30 year span. There are still areas that they can drill and recover the cost of drilling in less than two years and they are going to drill those first. I would do the same and I think anyone else would also. The day will come for Slope county, I just couldn’t say when. 20 years ago the Bakken wasn’t widely viable.

Mike, I suspect you are right. There seems to be a move toward multi well pads and thus less movement out from currently producing areas. I believe our time will come in Slope County. As to when that might be…?

Mike, I’m always glad to hear someone elses observations, spotted a typo in my last post also, so I am the last to throw stones on that one. I hadn’t even considered the water situation in Slope. Thank you.

r w…I went back and looked at the Oil Patch Hotline, it was dated 23 Aug. 2012…The article head line read > WATER WAR CONFLICT IMPACTS OILFIELD FRAC WATER SUPPLIERS…A water war is growing over permits for Missouri River water- particularly those that supply frac water to the oil industry in North Dakota…The fight over using that water started when the McKenzie County Water District urged the State and Federal Government to stop permits granted to private water users who are reselling the water to the oil industry. The attempt to curtail those permits was by the ND Water Users Assn. There is more to the write up but this is what it is all about…Mike

Mike,

I do navigate the NDIC pretty good, its just when I get on the GIS Map server, that I am unsure of how all the bells and whistles work on the right side of that page, with the check marks you can click on. I do have the $50 subscription, so it probably allows me access to most of those items on the right side of the map server page. I’ve attempted to spend some time in there with that, but life has been busy. Maybe this winter will slow down.

We have had a very hot summer here too, but this week we’re enjoying a bit of cooldown, with low 80’s and into the 50’s at night. Too much draught here, my grass is browning.

Thanks for the help and pointing out the spacings for Slope.

Susan

Thanks for your thoughts fellows…I have been watching the ArcIMS viewer and putting a check mark in Drilling/Spacing, and it takes a little bit to apply the info to the map…Then zoom in to where ever you want to look and see these areas in green and like dark pink with numbers in them…These have been on the docket at one time or another…Our one section T136N, R98W section 15 is tied up with section 22 is dark pink with the number 19215…It is called the Rainy Butte Prospect on the lease…When you pan up north these areas are all over the Townships and mostly green with some in dark pink color, and it sure looks like alot of areas are waiting for drilling, also there are not enough crews available for keepng up with fracting…Now I see a write up in the News letter oil patch that water rights are being questioned???. Okay, I’d better quit for now…Please forgive me if I messed up some of my spelling…Have a good day, Mike

Mike,

I am interested in where you found the info that you spoke about the ARCIMS viewer. I don’t think I know what or where that is, but I’d love to see it. Do you have a website URL for that. I might have more specific questions once I get into the site and begin navigating it.

Thanks,

Susan

Snues…You can zoom in one left click at a time untill you can see the Township and range numbers and also the section numbers…Mike

PS…I 'm located in Abilene Texas…tomorrows temp here will be 105…If I wait till tomorrow to type this info my pointer will more then likely melt…(smile)

Looks like the September Dockets are picking up for Stark, Billings and a little bit in Golden Valley…I sure feel sorry for any one that still has the hand cranking air conditioners in Texas… They will be busy today ??? Mike

Mike,

I found what you spoke of. I’d always referred to it as the GIS Map Server. I have yet to really learn how to navigate that part of the NDIC but should try to learn it. I did pull up what is highlighted for Slope spacing units, but its not near our mineral acreage.

Unless someone buys out Chesapeake holdings in ND, I think we’re skunked for quite a few years. We’re one year into a 5 yr lease, but guessing it won’t happen within the 5 years. It was nice to lease Slope again, since it had been since 1995 last time we leased it. I just hope that whoever drills, when it begins; has WAY better luck getting oil out of the ground, than the handful of wells that Chesapeake drilled in Stark. I hope they figure out which formation to drill that creates success.

I’m surprised it took this long for that water lawsuit happened. I think ND is so busy trying to accomplish infrustructure, and just trying to keep ahead of all the games, they hadn’t paused to realize they aren’t getting a piece of THAT pie, and someone is getting rich, without sharing. lol

When the NDIC web site first page opens look at the left side of page for…Active drilling rigs…Daily activity reports…Confidential well list…Be sure and check these out and you will see a lot of information on whats going on…Next, of which you have already found… click on GIS map server…You then need to look back at left side of page for…Zoom in…Zoom out…Pan…and Rect Identify, I will explain Rect identify later when you are okay with using prevous mentioned tasks…Be sure on not to click to fast when using the zooms…Okay let me know how this is for you…Mike

Susan…If you look at the left side of the page where at the top it says legend and click on it the items on the right side will change to symbols of which explain what every thing means on the map…Also go back and click legends again and it will change the right side of page back like it was…Mike

I’m sorry about the last info on the legend…You have to be zoomed in a little before the symbols will show up/or change…Mike

Snues, I live in Ft. Worth Tx area and my grass has been a lovely shade of yellow white for months and I have not had to mow it. Mike, like you I am enjoying the cooler weather, only 105 today.