Slope County, ND - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

hello ,just read your post , if I understand your lease position correctly, the powell well is on your lease , any well or production will end leasing on that acreage, suggest you find someone familiar with ND oil laws to help you , lawyer , bank trust dept. Robert

I have a subscription with NDRIN and if I am looking at the information correctly, it looks like Empire is assigning a lot of Slope County leases to Anschutz Oil Company, LLC. State and private leases are both shown as being involved.

Learning a lot on this forum. I guess what I meant about renewing are the leases.

TNKim, there is also the matter of a continuing operations clause in your lease, usually substantive work has to cease for at least 90-180 days before your lease will not be perpetuated by a continuing operations clause. I have seen a few that allowed an entire year. This can also be extended by a force majure clause, frack crews not avaiable or something along those lines.

good comments , keep posting , lots of factors involved as well comes into production, royalties , oil value, % of mineral acres owned. TNKim find someone to help you understand if you are part of powell unit . Tyler, rundle is pumping now??? do not know if gas flare is burning ? was going past today but blizzard changed plans, Robert

hello ,thank you for comment g renova, NDRIN info very interesting , please continue posting, this is the first post from you, I am not in ND now ,drove through blizzard yesterday and could not make internet connection ,will post little info on wells,Robert

Went by the Rundle well on Friday. The pumping unit is on the well and it was pumping. Also talked to a rep from vision who told me that he had heard the well came in decent. I am very anxious to see the production numbers. Went to look at the Powell well…frac tank is set up and there was some activity at the site but not much else going on. Lots of these Marathon/Pacer lease options are coming up for renewal soon. Is anyone getting renewed?

Hello from Canada…I have been watching comments on this site and really am not familiar at all with terminology …however I noticed that Marathon has a Powell well at NWNE 27-135-99…I have mineral rights leased by Marathon in the following…township 135 north range 99 west section29 W2 SE…section30NESW,S2SE,NWSE…section32 SW…also in a separate lease T135R99W section33 N2…

I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether I am in a good spot to see anything developing with these sections…

Thanks in advance…

I went by the Rundle and Powell wells today. Rundle was pumping, but has anyone seen an oil truck there? It was pretty quiet. There is still a flow back crew there, but not much activity. The Powell well seems to be forgotten about, which doesn’t seem to be a good sign. Nothing had changed since the last time I went by. I wonder if Matathon will even frac it at this point. There were frac tanks there, but it looked like they were just dropped there, they were not lined up at all. It will be interesting to see if they do anything with that well.

The Rundle trust well went off confidential status on the 28th but the NDIC web site didn’t have any info. Does anyone know what’s happening there?

I heard that production has been good. Actual production for April should be posted on the NDIC website in early May. I do know that Marathon is actively leasing and renewing some existing leases in the area so they must have seen something they like.

Thanks Ed, your comments concurs with the recent, fairly-long, Slope County-focused article titled “Marathon Has Second Horizontal Tyler Discovery” from a nearly 100 year old industry journal. The article leads with the Powell well, including a photograph, noting “four 400-bbl tanks (three for oil, one for water), a wellhead, and a separator” are on site.

Better than bad news, I suppose. As others have stated, perhaps given time they will get more efficient in drilling the Tyler. Thanks for the updates, all.

I agree with g renova. It will take a month or two, or more, to determine production potential of this well. It is pointless for us to speculate on whether or not Marathon will keep the Rundle well running or frac the Powell well based on 6 days of production at the Rundle well. I said it in a previous post and I will say it again…Marathon must have seen something they liked in these two wells or they would not be actively leasing and renewing leases the area. They pay a lot of people a lot of money to look at this stuff and I have to think they know what they are doing. Be patient…They will get it figured out.

The Ndic scout ticket for the Rundle Trust 21-29H shows production for 6 days in March. 158 oil, 573 water and 53 mcf of gas… It does not say if they have recovered all of the frac fluid and until you recover that amount of water there is going to be a question on production potential. The true potential of the well may not be known for several months and you can see figures for 90-150 days of production after all frac fluid is recovered.

I think someone mentioned that the frac job was pumped in a short time in one of the earlier posts. Throwing out some speculation, I would wonder if maybe just part of the well was fracked. The company would produce that part of the horizontal leg for several months and then frac more of the well using different fluid viscosities, sand designs, volumes and pump rates. The idea of frac, observe and learn on the Rundle Trust well may be why they have not fracked the Powell well yet.

Rethinking my speculation idea of fracking just part of the horizontal leg. To be legal on a horizontal well a company would probably have to frac and produce all of it or would get into issues with royalty distribution.

There are alot of unfracked wells right now, left over from those that were drilled and not fracked last winter, two of which are mine. If a well goes a year without being fracked, then it’s probably not going to happen. I have from 3 years ago, two very good to great wells in a great area and it was 9 months after drilling before they were fracked. Believe me, I was on pins and needles as the price of oil fell $20 per barrel in that 9 months from $113 per barrel to $93 per barrel. Patience is not just a virtue, it’s a necessity.

The two wells awaiting fracking right now, in the same spacing as above, have been waiting 5-6 months already.

Tom, "proper spacing usually means that they want the first chance to lease any additional acres they want, so they can find the edges of the pool. It has nothing to do with drilling actual wells. G, most wells flow back the frac fluid in the first 3 to 4 days. After that it usually starts producing at somewhat of a normal rate.

Tom, I know that they are leasing and/or renewing leases in 136/99 and 135/99. I have also heard that they have renewed some leases in 135/100 but can’t confirm it. Cody O&G is also active in the area.

Ed, Do you have any specifics on exactly where MRO is leasing? Tyler noted MRO has requested a permit for sections 2 & 11 135 99. We are one section away & have not heard a peep. Thanks for your post, it makes sense to me & helps me feel optimistic. Tom