Signed with Newfield Originally, Alta Mesa wants to Renew

In late 2015, we signed a 3 year lease for our Oklahoma Kingfisher and Major Counties rights in Section 32, 20N 9W with Newfield/Mid-Continent for 3 years. This week we received checks from Alta Mesa with not much explanation.

The check stubs do have to be signed and returned. They say Payment Type: Extension option. They contain other information - County, Recorded book page, date of lease (2 more years,) lease #, payee # and state:

Numerous calls and emails to Alta Mesa are unanswered. So we assume this is an extension. Is it common to sign with one company and then extend a lease with another company? Is it common for a company to renew a lease this way - no documents, contracts, etc, just a check?

Thanks! Sheree

Newfield assigned their interest over to Alta Mesa (Oklahoma Energy Acquisitions). Since you had extension language in your lease, this gave Alta Mesa the option to extend your lease for the additional 2 years at their discretion.

1 Like

As Andrew said, normal. As for contacting Alta Mesa, did you send them an email with you information/questions? I’ve contacted them several times of the past couple of months (as late as 2 weeks ago) with questions on several new wells and one producing and they’ve always replied in about 2 days. My experience with several companies is that they seldom if ever reply to phone calls.

Thank You John. I did send an email through their contact us page and via another person I spoke with at Alta Mesa that knew nothing but said, “Email me your info and I will forward it to the right person.”

I will keep trying. I have the person’s name in the land office I am supposed to speak with. Is it the Land Office you usually communicate with?

The person who replied to me is Belinda bcathey@AltaMesa.net, when she didn’t have the answer it was referred to someone else (don’t know the dept) and they replied within a couple of days with the information.

1 Like

Sheree, If you list your section, township and range, someone may be able to help with activity.

there is a rig drilling in 34-20-9 now

1 Like