Seismic Survey on Notil ground?

I have some ground that crews want to run a seismic 3D survey on. I have nightmares about problems left after a crew did some ground of ours over 5-7 years ago, as I am still fighting depressions and ruts. If I was a conventional til farmer I would eventually get all the spots worked out/over so crossing the field would be tolerable. BUT, I am a longtime notil farmer, and those depressions and ruts they leave will be there for quite some time. Thumper trucks, especially in wet conditions, are the culprit. Is their any other way for them to get their readings that would less "destructive" to my farming practices? I think they are offering $10 acre for the right to survey.

thanks,

Jim Coady

Kansas

Have no wet weather work AND have them pay to level the ruts. I define ruts as from 6" from peak to trough. We generally get about $2.50 per running foot for rut damage. That would more than pay to disk and level. If you have all the minerals, you control the deck of cards.

Best

Buddy Cotten

Avoid if possible. Thumper got stuck in our wheat field. Used disk to repair, to early to tell yet on long term effect/damage. Most definitely no wet ground.

Jim,

If you are the mineral owner, you should encourage the geophysical exploration as the exploration company will learn more about your minerals with the high cost of drilling. However, I find is strange that they want to come back after 5-7 years to reshoot so be careful of the agreement wording not being a lease in disguise. A legitimate seismic company and its client will happily pay for reasonable damages in order to get the subsurface information. The backer is spending a little money to decide if it should spend very big dollars that may turn out to be for your benefit.

The previous seismic survey I talked about was on another piece of ground 20 miles away from the currant location. This ground has never been surveyed. Someone was telling me of having them drill holes and set off charges in them, in lieu of using the thumper trucks. Then coming and filling the holes, which this particular landowner said was much better than dealing with the thumper depressions. Anybody heard of anything like this?

thanks,

Jim Coady

Gary L. Hutchinson said:

Jim,

If you are the mineral owner, you should encourage the geophysical exploration as the exploration company will learn more about your minerals with the high cost of drilling. However, I find is strange that they want to come back after 5-7 years to reshoot so be careful of the agreement wording not being a lease in disguise. A legitimate seismic company and its client will happily pay for reasonable damages in order to get the subsurface information. The backer is spending a little money to decide if it should spend very big dollars that may turn out to be for your benefit.

Gary L Hutchinson

Minerals Management

Provided you are the mineral owner, I suggest the following:

• No wet ground testing
  • Disc and level affected area with same ground dirt
  • Re-seed
  • Begin negotiations at $5.00/running foot - you can always lower

Good luck,

Pat

Jim, Using dynamite in holes and connected lines of seniors was the standard for many decades. Many geophysicists believe the subsurface reflection data is better but it is more expensive to acquire. If you are in western Kansas, the Thumpers may be the most expedient unless the exploration is for deep seated structures.

In any case, it is up to you to protect your surface and receive just compensation for any damage or inconvenience incurred. Good companies expect you to do that. GLH

James A. Coady said:

The previous seismic survey I talked about was on another piece of ground 20 miles away from the currant location. This ground has never been surveyed. Someone was telling me of having them drill holes and set off charges in them, in lieu of using the thumper trucks. Then coming and filling the holes, which this particular landowner said was much better than dealing with the thumper depressions. Anybody heard of anything like this?

thanks,

Jim Coady

Gary L. Hutchinson said:

Jim,

Gary, I’m all for geophysical exploration, but not at the expense of long term problems with the ground in the way that I choose to farm. I’ve never heard of companies willing to keep paying to fix issues with the ground in the future. Seems as if most just want an initial damage payment, then as far as they are concerned, their responsibility has ended. Perhaps there are companies that are willing to bear the future expense, but I haven’t heard of any of those in my area in the past. Not saying they don’t exist , just not in my past experience.

Gary L. Hutchinson said:

Jim, Using dynamite in holes and connected lines of seniors was the standard for many decades. Many geophysicists believe the subsurface reflection data is better but it is more expensive to acquire. If you are in western Kansas, the Thumpers may be the most expedient unless the exploration is for deep seated structures.

In any case, it is up to you to protect your surface and receive just compensation for any damage or inconvenience incurred. Good companies expect you to do that. GLH

James A. Coady said:

thanks,

Jim Coady

Gary L. Hutchinson said:

Jim,

Gary L Hutchinson

Minerals Management