Seismic exploration

My family owns land in Austin County Tx with a mineral lease. We have been approached by a seismic exploration company for permission to conduct seismic testing on the property. We are hesitant to do this but were told if we don’t give permission the company can get a Temporary Restraining Ordre and do it anyway. We have a clause in the lease restricting surface operations for the exploration and production of oil, gas, and other minerals on the land without our consent. Does anyone have any experience with this? Past bad experiences with oil companies has made us cautious.

Emily Schroeder

We had no problems. Got a nice new road out of it around our pond. See if they will pay you if you own the surface. If you do not own the surface, then it is okay to give them permission. It is fairly non invasive if they are careful.

This is offensive and outrageous tactic by the agent. I have only heard of a TRO being issued for surveying for pipeline in an eminent domain situation. Ask the landman to provide statutory authority to back up his claim. I am assuming that you own the surface and that the company has offered compensation of at least $15-$20 per acre. You do not have to consent to seismic which is being conducted by a company for compiling data for its library for sale to third parties. Contact your lessee and ask if the seismic is proposed solely for its own use and if they are paying for it. Frequently, the lessee is compensated by free or below market pricing for use of the seismic and so gives its consent to the seismic company. For a lessee, the purpose is to evaluate the subsurface terrain, faults, depths, etc, for a well. For the seismic company, the purpose is to add to its library of seismic to sell to third parties for a profit.

Thanks for the information…I’ll follow up on your suggestions.

I appreciate your info. Thanks.