Sections 9 and 15-5N-3W

I received a division order contract with a legal description for section 9–5N-3W. I do not own any interest in section 9. My interest is in section 15. I’m wondering if well(s) in section 9 is a horizontal well. If anyone has any information, I would appreciate it. I don’t want to sign anything before I understand what I’m signing.

Thanks so much!

Using the well name, legal description and operating company, it is easy to find information. If you use the Oklahoma Corporation Commissions wellbrowse search tool (occpermit.com/wellbrowse) and that information you should get a list of all wells that match the description – which should just be the well or wells in question. Lesser amounts of information will leave you to sort through up to 18 wells that are currently listed for 09-05N-03W-IM as surface holes and 20 surface-hole wells for section 15 in that township/range. (I did not see any bottom-hole listings in the search, but that could be a computer error, or older wells not being horizontal, obviating the need to keep track of tops and bottoms.) There is a small chance you have mineral rights you don’t know about. I recently discovered a small acreage that my Mother did not know about, but that had been left to her by her father. She simply had not noticed it in the reams of legal documents that he left, or in the very lengthy trust document. You should be able to check with the county clerk to determine whether this is the case.

No horizontal that ties 9 and 15 together. Ask the Division Order analyst for a copy of the title opinion paragraph that lists your interest in section 9 as you are unaware of any acreage. Usually they will give it to you.

Great advice as usual Ms. Barnes. Thank you

Thank you for that info!

Ms. Barnes,

I have finally located the identity of the Analyst, however, have had no luck getting anyone to return my calls. In the absence of further information, is there any reason I should NOT correct the legal description, execute the Division Order Contract and send it back (via certified mail which I know you always suggest)? The reason I ask is that an assignment from Eland Energy to Silver Energy was filed in McClain County covering the North Payne Hunton UN, Tr 1-42 which is what this Division Order Contract is all about. I think (although I certainly could be mistaken) that Tracts 1 through 42 are not only in Section 9, but several other sections as well, including my interest in Section 15. I would just like to put this behind me but don’t want to make any big mistakes.

Thanks so much for the information!

You can look up the unitization agreements on the OCC website and hopefully find the map that shows the tract numbers. I can’t really comment without reading the exact Division Order. Do you have the previous one? If I have differences in the descriptions on a DO, I send a certified return address letter documenting the difference and ask for any explanation before signing.

By the way, even if you don’t sign, you will get paid in OK-just on their description. Not so for Texas.