Section, Township and Range explanation

Can anyone explain to me what W1/2NW1/4, section 25 means? It is supposed to be in township 153 North, Range 96 West? In McKenzie😊 Heidi

West one-half of Northwest one-quarter. Assume that the section is a square and one line is on north, with other sides on East, south and west sides. Draw crossed lines through center of the section, to make 4 squares. Those are NW/4, NE/4 (northeast one-quarter), SW/4 (Southwest one-quarter) and SE/4 (southeast one-quarter). Draw a vertical line in the NW/4 to divide it into West half and East half. That is the piece where you own minerals. If the section is 640 acres, then W/2 of NW/4 contains 80 acres. (640 / 4 / 2). You need to know your fractional ownership of the minerals to determine how many acres you own in the 80 acres.

S-T-R Legal Land Descriptions in OK_Kletke-1.pdf (59.7 KB)

This is an article for Oklahoma, but it applies for North Dakota as well.

Thank you both so much for explaining​:blush::+1: Mining business has it’s own «language» impossible for me to understand on my own!

I find it useful to read the descriptions from right to left. That helps me keep them straight.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.