Section 48, Block 25

I would appreciate any tips or advice on how active this section of the county is as I attempt to understand a mineral-rights offer I recently received from a company in Texas.

I am a mineral owner in this section.Who is making the offer and what kind of terms are they giving?

There are eight horizontal wells running through Section 48 which have produced almost 850,000 barrels of oil in the last year. If you own minerals in Section 48, Block 25, you should have been receiving some good royalty checks. Are your minerals leased?

What I am attempting to understand at the moment is how many owners in total there are within this section. Do you have any sense of that? As I understand it, that is the only want to assess the fairness of any offer.

I own minerals in many sections in over 30 counties. I have evaluated offers in many of these areas and I have never known how many mineral owners there were in each section. Knowing how many mineral owners there are in each section is not the only way to assess the fairness of any offer. You can get some very good advice in this forum by letting us know what you own e.g. the number of acres; whether or not your acres are leased; and the royalty e.g. 3/16, 1/5, 1/4.

Need to know Sec No. , Blk No., and Township in order to determine where your interest is. See RRC GIS map for help in locating it.

Thanks, P.J. It’s described as “All SEC 48, A-1065, BLK 25, H&TC RR CO, BORDEN COUNTY”

George, these details are exactly what I am trying to figure out, as the offers say only that my interests include the entire section, but with no mention of acres or royalty fractions.

NCK

Unless you have the documents in the chain of title to the mineral interest you own, answering your question on the size of your interest will require you, or someone representing you, researching the Borden County deed records, and possibly probate records, potentially back to the original transfer of title to that section. How did you acquire your interest…through inheritance or purchase?

It’s possibly your research could establish that you own all the minerals in that full section, but the way mineral interests get divided over time it would be unusual. The statement that your interest covers that full section more likely means you own a fractional undivided interest in that full section. Knowing how many other mineral owners in that section wouldn’t establish what your specific ownership interest is (unless the answer was that there are no other others) because each different owner could hold varying amounts of mineral interest in the section.

In any case, it’s up to you to document the size of your interest. Although it’s possible the person who contacted you has done that research, you can’t rely on someone who is wanting to buy your interest to provide you a valid answer on that.

Dusty, Borden County Records are not online the last time I checked. The abstract company that covers that county is in Scurry County, so you have to drive to Scurry County, run the abstract to get your chain of title, then drive to Borden County where the clerk makes copies for you at a dollar per page (old school)

Borden County Section 48/block 25/A-1065…some very good oil/gas combination wells in this area producing from the Spraberry(Trend Area) formation…the major producers/operators in this area are High Peak Energy, SM Energy and Surge Operating.

CLICK ON MAP TO ENLARGE

HighPeak Energy (out of Fort Worth) is operator in their Griffin 48-37 unit there and I am counting 8 wellbores associated with it.
RRC is showing them with a status of Shut In, I am uncertain why (unless that is stale data from COVID era) In November 2022, for instance, they reportedly produced 73,801 barrels of oil.

Their address is 421 W 3rd St, Suite 1000 Fort Worth, TX 76102 817-850-9200

If you are an unleased owner in those wells, you should have received a Rule 37 notice from the Texas RR Commission before they permitted/drilled the wells.

there would be no reason to entertain an offer to lease from anybody else really. I would recommend contacting Ben, I believe he is the landman in their office.

hi fttxguy A lot of Borden County records are now available through either County Records or TexasFile, depending on the date.

@fttxguy , Looking at what Clint Liles posted above, I see 9 wells that are in the boring or fracking stage in the next section below which may account for the Shut in you mention. Just food for thought. MK

1 Like

You are either getting paid by Highpeak or should be getting paid by Highpeak. IF you own there. So call Highpeak, ask to speak to someone in the division orders or owner relations, and ask them what they show you owning. Or call the aforementioned Ben (Broyles).

They can tell you if you are leased, in suspense, need some probate, whatever.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.