Scoop and the Sweet Spots

I have several sections in 3n-6w Grady County. 23,26,27,33,34,35. I have been offered a lease on some of these sections. My question is about the "scoop". I have heard that part of the scoop is in the thin shale and part is in the deep shale. Could someone tell me which part of the shale my sections are in, if any? Ive looked at the shale maps but didnt conclude an answer. It makes sense to me that if my sections are in a sweet spot that my bonus would be higher.

Based on the CLR map that specifies 100, 200, >300' I would say that area is in the 200' area. Your property is just across the Grady/Stephens Co line. Bonus will depend on your patience, and what happens to the market. Typically, those that sign the first end up with the lower bonus amounts. However, things can change and it could end up to be less desirable or the markets could change.

Regardless, other parts of the lease can be as much or more important than bonus amount.

I sent you a link to the map in case you were looking at a different one.

Thank you so much Rick, I appreciate you writing to me. Although, my family has had interests and dealings for decades I am new to taking over. You mentioned other parts of the lease can be as much or more important than bonus. That sounds like a huge topic. But, one I am unfamiliar with. Are there any points you can share further?

Rick Howell said:

Based on the CLR map that specifies 100, 200, >300' I would say that area is in the 200' area. Your property is just across the Grady/Stephens Co line. Bonus will depend on your patience, and what happens to the market. Typically, those that sign the first end up with the lower bonus amounts. However, things can change and it could end up to be less desirable or the markets could change.

Regardless, other parts of the lease can be as much or more important than bonus amount.

I sent you a link to the map in case you were looking at a different one.

Yes, it would be a huge topic.

The best advice I can give you is to take your time. I can recommend a couple of books that should help. Engage some help if you are not clear on something.

Length of term, options, depth clause, production costs etc, there are a number of things (and more than I mentioned) that need to be taken in consideration when leasing.

Rick,

Can you post the link?

We are in 27 3n 6w too and relatives sharing our 80 acres have gotten letters. I was wondering the same thing.

I'd like to see a current "SCOOP" map overlaid on the townships.

Holly

Rick,

Are they focused on drilling the 300' areas first, do you know? And/or does the depth of the shale seem to correspond w/ the $$ being offered?

Holly