Rules and Regulations regarding spacing in Oklahoma

I could not get the Stephens County off. I had used it in a previous post. It is late or I would go back and figure it out. Anyway, does not pertain to Stephens County but a general question for Oklahoma. Has been 38 years since I had a job in the oil industry. My question is…if you leased acres in 1954 and a well was drilled to 200 feet and it held 160 acres, can you take an action or do you need to take an action to get your leased acres back that have been held by this well. I do not know how it was spaced. I screwed up when I leased it again to the person who had last operated the well. It had not produced for two or three years so I talked to him about reworking it. He agreed but I told him he would have to lease again because the lease had expired. He did and I told him I did not want the acreage outside of 20 or 40 acres to be held. I do not know WHY I did not put that on the lease. Anyway, he said okay…and I do not know if I said something about spacing…but he said he would not hold it outside the 40 acres. Just stupid on my part…did not want to argue with him and had been awhile since I had worked with in a company, so handled poorly. However, for some reason I have thought the last few years that a shallow well could not hold an entire 1/4, even if the lease did not restrict it…not sure about how spacing would impact. It would have been spaced in 1954 and I would think there might be new laws that would impact that. OKAY…maybe not clear. Got to sleep.

If you post the section, township and range and quarter section, we may be able to help you. Need to know which area, so can check the spacing and the well involved.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.