Royalty Deed in Wood County, Texas

My mother has a Royalty Deed that has been passed down to her from a couple of generations. Really do not know what it is or if it would be worth anything after all these years. Any direction or help would be appreciated.

Lori:

A royalty deed transfers ownership of the royalty interest and not the right to execute leases and recieve bonus payments. You didn't specify what area of Wood County this royalty deed pertains to as some areas of Wood County is very productive while others have depleted productions areas. The area around Hawkins, Texas is solely operated by Exxon Mobile and has provided steady production for years. The area around Alba is another area which has produced for years. Other areas, Quitman, Winnsboro, Pine Mills have had declining production and many wells have been plugged due to this. The areas around Lake Fork is primarily gas wells which are good producers. Hopefully, your royalty deed covers one of these better areas.

Charles:

The royalty deed is dated May 1, 1931, and it gives a full property description but is says it is 10 acres of land out of the James Crocket Survey, said survey being located 1 3/4 miles west of the town of Quitman so maybe it has no value at all. I honestly just don't know what to do with the Royalty Deed. Any advice would be appreciated. Much thanks.

Lori

charles s mallory said:

Lori:

A royalty deed transfers ownership of the royalty interest and not the right to execute leases and recieve bonus payments. You didn't specify what area of Wood County this royalty deed pertains to as some areas of Wood County is very productive while others have depleted productions areas. The area around Hawkins, Texas is solely operated by Exxon Mobile and has provided steady production for years. The area around Alba is another area which has produced for years. Other areas, Quitman, Winnsboro, Pine Mills have had declining production and many wells have been plugged due to this. The areas around Lake Fork is primarily gas wells which are good producers. Hopefully, your royalty deed covers one of these better areas.

You need an Abstract number to go with that Survey name as there are four J. Crocket Surveys in Wood County.

Where would I find that at?

James H. McConnell, CPL said:

You need an Abstract number to go with that Survey name as there are four J. Crocket Surveys in Wood County.

It should be on the description included in the Deed. If not, you may have to run the records to see where the grantor owned land or minerals. In order for a description in a conveyance to be valid, the tract must be locatable on the ground.

Lori:

There has been oil production in the past to the West of Quitman and Shell was the original drilling company. Unfortunately, no new drilling has taken place in this area over the past several years and the wells in this area of the Quitman Field are mainly small producers and most require constant workovers. There is still multiple wells producing in the area.

Lori McCormack said:

Charles:

The royalty deed is dated May 1, 1931, and it gives a full property description but is says it is 10 acres of land out of the James Crocket Survey, said survey being located 1 3/4 miles west of the town of Quitman so maybe it has no value at all. I honestly just don't know what to do with the Royalty Deed. Any advice would be appreciated. Much thanks.

Lori

charles s mallory said:

Lori:

I appreciate you taking your time to give me some direction. I have to admit that while I work in a law office, most of my work is in the area of domestic and criminal matters, and I am not educated in this area in even the slightest way. I am trying to research this for my mother since she has had this Royalty Deed for many years now and she didn't know what to do with it and had thought about just discarding it. She has the original recorded deed as well as the all of the original letters that accompanied it in 1931. Would contacting the original drilling company be the manner in which I need to proceed? I do not know the process of what happens to royalties (if there are any), or how to go about finding out. Thanks again.

Lori McCormack

charles s mallory said:

Lori:

There has been oil production in the past to the West of Quitman and Shell was the original drilling company. Unfortunately, no new drilling has taken place in this area over the past several years and the wells in this area of the Quitman Field are mainly small producers and most require constant workovers. There is still multiple wells producing in the area.

Lori McCormack said:

Charles:

Lori

charles s mallory said:

Lori:

Thanks very much for your direction. I really appreciate. It is so old and probably isn’t anything but I will see what I can find out.