Royalty checks

I received a check from an estate for oil being drilled on some land. I would like to know, how do I go by locating the land? Or what should my next steps be? I inherited from my father. The checks are coming out of Texas and the land is located in Texas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please help. Thank you!

Hi, Jewel! Welcome to The Forum. You wrote that you received a check from an estate rather than an oil and gas company. If the check you received came from a Trustee, you should be able to get all the information you need from the Trustee(s) of the Estate. If you received a check from an oil and gas company, they will be able to tell you what wells your royalties are coming from and, very possibly, the legal description of the lands or at least the Unit or Pooled Acreage your royalties are coming from.

Is the check from the Estate of Your Father’s Name? or is the check from on oil company? If from the Estate, then ask the executor for the legal description of the land(s) or for a copy of the original check detail from the oil company. You should have received, or will receive, a copy of the recorded deed(s) from your father’s estate to you. These will have a legal description of the property. If your check is from the oil company, then it should list the name of the well and you can ask the oil company where the well is located. Then you can find the deed into your name.

I received the check from a CPA office in Texas. The estate is in someone’s name I’ve never meet. It was just a check with the name of the estate listed and nothing else. I’m so confused. Should the CPA office have more information?

Thank you all for your help and advice. I really appreciate you.

My apologies! It’s a royalty check.