Roosevelt County Montana Coulee Area

Our family owns the mineral rights to 1300 acres in Roosevelt County Montata, Coulee area, I hear there is some oil and gas drilling going on in that area, how do I find out how close any companies are to exploring or drilling on our mineral rights?

Roosevelt County is getting a lot of interest right now. There are a lot of spacing units on the docket hoping to be approved: http://bogc.dnrc.state.mt.us/PDF/August2010Docket.pdf

There have been quite a few good Bakken Wells drilled.

Many acres leased. I am familiar with Roosevelt County, but have no idea where “Coulee” is. There are a lot of coulees. Can you be specific as to what town your acres are close to?

Ruth, Thanks for the reply. The closest town(s) would be Wolf Point or Poplar, the Coulee area is the “Jake Coulee” area, are you familiar with this at all?, We always hear rumors about the exploration around there but nothing solid yet… What have you heard lately?

Thanks again,

Bret, Can’t help too much. I’m 350 miles away from the area, and only visit. Our minerals (and the area I’m familiar with) are 40 miles east of WP/Poplar on Highway 2, between Culbertson and Bainville. Two good Bakken wells have been drilled north and northeast of Culbertson. The other hot area is closer to Bainville. We have leased our land because we are between the two hot areas.

You presumably know the township and range of your land. I would compare with the T & R of the proposed spacing units on the August docket, and then go onto the website and review the T & R of other spacing units on previous dockets.

I was in Wolf Point to do research on deeds about a month ago. I didn’t see any oil activity in the area. Culbertson and Bainville are getting crazy–no place for anyone to stay so workers camped in odd places. It may be just a matter of time for your area, though. Too bad you don’t have a local contact who can tell you if they’re leasing there.

Ruth, Thank you for the information, I will be checking the T & Rs on our property, I think you are right though, it’s only a matter of time before they move into our area. I will keep checking. I hope everything goes great for you! Talk to you later and if you do hear anythnig, please let me know.

Thanks again,

BRET

Ruth said:

Bret,
Can’t help too much. I’m 350 miles away from the area, and only visit. Our minerals (and the area I’m familiar with) are 40 miles east of WP/Poplar on Highway 2, between Culbertson and Bainville. Two good Bakken wells have been drilled north and northeast of Culbertson. The other hot area is closer to Bainville. We have leased our land because we are between the two hot areas.

You presumably know the township and range of your land. I would compare with the T & R of the proposed spacing units on the August docket, and then go onto the website and review the T & R of other spacing units on previous dockets.

I was in Wolf Point to do research on deeds about a month ago. I didn’t see any oil activity in the area. Culbertson and Bainville are getting crazy–no place for anyone to stay so workers camped in odd places. It may be just a matter of time for your area, though. Too bad you don’t have a local contact who can tell you if they’re leasing there.

Hello, I read your post. I have land in the area you discussed. In west bainville have you heard about stuff going on there. Information I receive is light and vague. I’m in 28n 57e, leased,awaiting work to be done

Montana october docket shows an application for temp spacing in 27 do you know if that was aprooved.

Ruth said:
Bret,
Can't help too much. I'm 350 miles away from the area, and only visit. Our minerals (and the area I'm familiar with) are 40 miles east of WP/Poplar on Highway 2, between Culbertson and Bainville. Two good Bakken wells have been drilled north and northeast of Culbertson. The other hot area is closer to Bainville. We have leased our land because we are between the two hot areas.

I was in Wolf Point to do research on deeds about a month ago. I didn't see any oil activity in the area. Culbertson and Bainville are getting crazy--no place for anyone to stay so workers camped in odd places. It may be just a matter of time for your area, though. Too bad you don't have a local contact who can tell you if they're leasing there.

I must be in the same boat as you, I keep hearing vague information but I am certain, it will be just a matter of time before all of our areas are leased for work. I have not heard the latest for the temp spacing in 27 but there should not be any opposition to it. Please keep in touch, I will let you know what I find out… Thanks, BRET
crlnldx2600 said:

Hello, I read your post. I have land in the area you discussed. In west bainville have you heard about stuff going on there. Information I receive is light and vague. I’m in 28n 57e, leased,awaiting work to be done

Montana october docket shows an application for temp spacing in 27 do you know if that was aprooved.

Ruth said:
Bret,
Can’t help too much. I’m 350 miles away from the area, and only visit. Our minerals (and the area I’m familiar with) are 40 miles east of WP/Poplar on Highway 2, between Culbertson and Bainville. Two good Bakken wells have been drilled north and northeast of Culbertson. The other hot area is closer to Bainville. We have leased our land because we are between the two hot areas.

I got a call this afternoon to possibye lease my property (mineral right) North of Brockton. The company that is there is Houck Energy. Don’t know anymore, other than a Texas company called and Houck handles their exploration – It is not oil-- it is for gas.

Louise,

It sounds like they are finally moving in the right direction for exploration in our area of minerial rights too!, I will keep you posted on what I hear about "Houck Energy", Please let me know what happens next on your property, and I will let you know what happens on ours.....

Talk to you soon!

Louise C. Johnson said:

I got a call this afternoon to possibye lease my property (mineral right) North of Brockton. The company that is there is Houck Energy. Don't know anymore, other than a Texas company called and Houck handles their exploration -- It is not oil-- it is for gas.

I have mineral rights 30 miles north of wolf point. It was leased many years ago. can you give me any insight into what might be happening in that area today

crlnldx2600 said:

Hello, I read your post. I have land in the area you discussed. In west bainville have you heard about stuff going on there. Information I receive is light and vague. I'm in 28n 57e, leased,awaiting work to be done

Ruth said:
Bret,
Can't help too much. I'm 350 miles away from the area, and only visit. Our minerals (and the area I'm familiar with) are 40 miles east of WP/Poplar on Highway 2, between Culbertson and Bainville. Two good Bakken wells have been drilled north and northeast of Culbertson. The other hot area is closer to Bainville. We have leased our land because we are between the two hot areas.

I was in Wolf Point to do research on deeds about a month ago. I didn't see any oil activity in the area. Culbertson and Bainville are getting crazy--no place for anyone to stay so workers camped in odd places. It may be just a matter of time for your area, though. Too bad you don't have a local contact who can tell you if they're leasing there.

Charles,

If you send me your e-mail address I can send you the last "State of Montana Borad of Oil and Gas Conservation Department" Meeting info and they list and talk about all of the permits being worked on in the State of Montana and the areas the permits are being requested...........

Thanks, Bret

Charles Galloway said:

I have mineral rights 30 miles north of wolf point. It was leased many years ago. can you give me any insight into what might be happening in that area today

crlnldx2600 said:
Hello, I read your post. I have land in the area you discussed. In west bainville have you heard about stuff going on there. Information I receive is light and vague. I'm in 28n 57e, leased,awaiting work to be done

Ruth said:
Bret,

Does anyone think that drilling will become more active in Roosevelt County in 2011. Looking at the Eastern part of the county, it appears that the majority of the areas are spaced but not many drilling permits being applied for. Do you think that the drilling acitvity in ND is occupying most all of the rigs and Montana is on the “back burner”. There are leases in this Eastern area which will beging to expire this year and next and it appears these oil companies would want to drill in order to hold a lease. Anyone’s thoughts on this.

I asked a landman at the Roosevelt county courthouse this fall that question. I said surely they’ll pick up the pace and move some of those oil rigs from ND over to Roosevelt County to hold the leases that will begin to expire. He said he didn’t think so. He said that there are too many mineral acres still to HBP in ND, and they would be very expensive to re-lease because of all the big wells in ND. Brigham just gave a presentation to Credit Suisse today, and he didn’t seem to indicate a rush to MT, only a continued interest. Maybe if the Swindle well in 28N 57E that is still being fracked turns out to be a monster well, another Brad Olson or something, they’ll feel the need to secure more leases.

charles s mallory said:

Does anyone think that drilling will become more active in Roosevelt County in 2011. Looking at the Eastern part of the county, it appears that the majority of the areas are spaced but not many drilling permits being applied for. Do you think that the drilling acitvity in ND is occupying most all of the rigs and Montana is on the "back burner". There are leases in this Eastern area which will beging to expire this year and next and it appears these oil companies would want to drill in order to hold a lease. Anyone's thoughts on this.

Ruth:

We will just watch the drilling game play out as time is on side in regards to $/acre and % royalty. I predict that an influx of top leasing could occur later this year and next for the Roosevelt County area. I feel that I am much more educated in the aspects of leasing this go around.

Ruth said:

I asked a landman at the Roosevelt county courthouse this fall that question. I said surely they'll pick up the pace and move some of those oil rigs from ND over to Roosevelt County to hold the leases that will begin to expire. He said he didn't think so. He said that there are too many mineral acres still to HBP in ND, and they would be very expensive to re-lease because of all the big wells in ND. Brigham just gave a presentation to Credit Suisse today, and he didn't seem to indicate a rush to MT, only a continued interest. Maybe if the Swindle well in 28N 57E that is still being fracked turns out to be a monster well, another Brad Olson or something, they'll feel the need to secure more leases.

charles s mallory said:
Does anyone think that drilling will become more active in Roosevelt County in 2011. Looking at the Eastern part of the county, it appears that the majority of the areas are spaced but not many drilling permits being applied for. Do you think that the drilling acitvity in ND is occupying most all of the rigs and Montana is on the "back burner". There are leases in this Eastern area which will beging to expire this year and next and it appears these oil companies would want to drill in order to hold a lease. Anyone's thoughts on this.

New to forum. Having trouble accessing Montana well data. Any new activity/permits in or around 23,26,28N57E this fall?

Williams:

The Montana Oil and Gas website is far from user friendly so your not the only one to experience trouble using the site. Maybe one day if Montana drilling hits the ND level, they will hire some programmers to write scripts for a website that will be easy to understand. In reference to your second remark, numerous permits have been issued for that area and several well have been drilled or is in the process of completion. DCtex posts on this forum and he keeps up to date on the drilling activity in the area so maybe he can elaborate on your question.

Williams said:

New to forum. Having trouble accessing Montana well data. Any new activity/permits in or around 23,26,28N57E this fall?