Roads bottleneck to oil/gas E&P

Roads, not pipelines, may be biggest threat to growth in oil hotspot. (Bloomberg) – For an oilman who’s worked on the Gulf Coast, near the Russian Arctic and in Royal Dutch Shell Plc’s headquarters in The Hague, being stuck in traffic on a dusty West Texas highway is not the stuff of dreams. The GMC Yukon rented by Amir Gerges, general manager of Shell’s operations in the Permian Basin, has crawled just four miles in the past hour. “That’s probably a truck that rolled over that’s causing this,” Gerges said, speaking from weary experience. Turns out, it’s just routine work on Highway 302, an 83-mile-long, often single-lane road that runs from Odessa, Texas, home to a variety of oilfield servicers, to Loving County, in the western part of the Permian. It’s a stretch that saw traffic jump by 76 percent in 2017, and it’s continued to rise this year. The delay helps Gerges prove a point: Roads, he said, not pipelines, geology or labor shortages, are the biggest long-term threat to sustainable growth in the Permian, the world’s busiest shale oil field. “Almost everything you need at the wellhead is transported by road,” Gerges said. “That’s the one biggest challenge, not just Shell, everyone faces.” ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

That’s in Winkler county…but the same applies to roads in Reeves, Loving, Ward, Pecos, Culberson, and Hudspeth counties. Roads are in bad shape because of the heavy traffic they bear. The caliche roads not only rut but the fine caliche dust blocks views out the windshield to as little as 2 feet…which is dangerous since you might run into the back of a truck you’re following or get run over by a truck coming from the other direction who can’t see either.
Spraying water on the road several times per day will help settle the dust and make travel safer…but few E&P companies want to have that expense.

, Reeves county, Tx :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Double tracked railroad with plenty of sidings for offloading flat car transport of big rigs. hah. We as Americans used to be able to solve these problems

I agree with Mr. Rayburn that roads are very important to the development of the Permian Basin. It would be sad to see new business driven out of the area because of the lack of roads. Infrastructure is a crucial contribution to economic development and growth along with important social benefits. With the learning about this traffic bottle neck that is caused by a big increase of traffic on US 285 north of Pecos and number of traffic fatalities that have been reported, combined my experience with the sometimes washboard like county roads going out to my property, I started looking into this problem. My efforts led me to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDot) Texas Energy Sector Rural Improvement Program of Project dated July 2018. It proposes to address the critical needs arising from the accelerated growth of the energy industry in West Texas, specifically within the Permian Basin. Part 1 is the Reeves County Improvement Project that shows that $23 million will be spent to improve Highway 285 and RM 652. The plan may not be an adequate solution to the problem, but it seems like a start, especially for the Northern Delaware Basin. I thought this information would be worth sharing in this discussion. Your own research may motivate you to take the time for positive political action. See the link below to view the TxDot document.

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/fed/build/2018/reeves-county.pdf

There’s only one track from Odessa/Midland running through Monahans, Wickett, Pyote, Barstow, then Pecos in Reeves county, on to Van Horn in Culberson county all the way through Hudspeth county to El Paso. Especially where the railroad tracks cross roads in those places (Pecos in Reeves is very adamant) they don’t want to allow for multiple tracks on a raised causeway with roads underneath…nor do they want to allow excavation of an underground train track to allow the roads to cross overhead. Trains out here are sometimes 2 miles long with many cars stacked 2 high with Conexes and they absolutely hate when a long train must stop to unload on a siding here. Lawsuits are constantly being raised from both sides. I don’t know what the solution might be other than a giant tunnel bored under the roads in Pecos and run multiple tracks underground for about 4 miles where it passes through Pecos.
We HAVE the tunnel boring technology…but we can’t get the lawyers to agree.

, Reeves county, Tx :sunglasses::rofl::rainbow::stars::heart:

1 Like