Researching Production - Pottowatomie County, OK

I just found old deeds for a few undivided acres in each of the following areas. I am from New Jersey and do not have anyone in Ok who can look into this for me.

Does anyone know what is going on in these areas? Thank you for your help.

Section 29 ,Township 6N, Range 4E

Section 30, Township 6N, Range 4E

Section 35, Township 6N, Range 4E

There is leasing one county over to the east, leasing two counties to the west. I have been offered a lease in Sec 11. South of Pottowatomie Co., there are some very good wells that just came in. Not very good bonus in this county, but very good in the other counties. Find Pottowatomie Co. on the maps, and keep up with the surrounding counties. If you want information about sec. 11, I will tell you what I did.

Hilda, please forgive if I am sharing things you already know.

For leasing activity, other forum members here are the best source, as you can see from Carol's reply. If there has been name or address changes since the deeds were filed, be sure each County Clerk has current contact information so landmen can find you.

For O&G company activity, open this link http://imaging.occeweb.com/imaging/OGWellRecords.aspx , then enter the Legal Location. Next check the box Exclude ECM (unless your minerals are in the Panhandle). Click Search, to see EVERYTHING in the OCC system that has been scanned for that section. You may need to limit the search to a more recent date if the section has been heavily developed over the years. Drop down to Scan Date, enter a beginning date and use today's date in the last field. These are documents that the O&G companies never send mineral owners. As you begin researching your minerals, leave the Form # blank. Later you may want to limit to specific documents. Some of these are: Form 1000, Permit to Drill, Recomplete or Reenter; 1001A Spud Notice; 1002A Completion Report; and 1073 Transfer of Operator. There are other forms, but these will probably be of most interest. IMPORTANT - because surface location for horizontal drilling is often in an adjacent section, be sure to search all 9 sections! To search an entire township, use the wildcard symbol % instead of the section. Page 32 of the document below gives a good explanation of the United States Land Survey System.

Unless you are really familiar with mineral ownership in Oklahoma, consider downloading (and printing) “Basic Information for the Oklahoma Royalty Owner” Last Revision - September 2012, (Oklahoma Corporation Commission) found at http://digitalprairie.ok.gov/cdm/ref/collection/stgovpub/id/241683 . This guide (37 page + cover) is excellent!

Also check out the National Association of Royalty Owners website http://www.naro-us.org/ , especially the Oklahoma Chapter page. There are links and information on claiming unpaid lease bonus or royalties held in the Mineral Owners Escrow Account (MOEA) or Unclaimed Property Fund held by the State Treasurer. Be sure to check all name variations of family members who own or may have owned property in the state.

Thank you, Mr. Skinner, for your detailed instructions.

I have been asked to sign a lease for a few acres in Creek County but I have not been able to find out anything about the leasing company, nor the G&O company involved. The landman who phoned me does not know this information. Hard to believe, but I cannot sign anything unless I know who I am dealing with. Your information is just what I needed. Thank you very much.

Thank you Ms. Dakan,

At least I know there is nothing going on in the area and I have time to figure out what to do.Thanks.