Researching complete oil/gas holdings

Total newbie here - please try to overlook my probably-inaccurate terminology!!

I have mineral rights interests in several Texas counties that were signed over to me by my dad many years ago. I get tax bills (school-related, I believe) but am not receiving any royalties.

Am seeking to identify an appropriate person to research the status (production?) of these properties and to identify whether there may be others of which I am unaware. I live in Virginia, so I do not have any ready source of referral. Advice much appreciated - don't even know what the service/specialty would be called!

Tracy:

Do you have specific information as to where these minerals are located such as name of counties, specific location of the mineral acres, etc.? Is your name properly recorded at the County Clerk's office in the counties where the minerals are located? The Railroad Commission of Texas regulates the oil and gas industry in Texas and their website has information pertaining to the industry. Currently, the most active areas in the State is the South Texas area which is the Eagle Ford Shale and West Texas which is the Permian Basin. Other scattered developments exist in the State but these are the most active. Again, if you could be more specific as to the location, one might be able to assist you in regards to activity.

Thanks so much for your prompt reply!

I have specific info on the properties of which I am aware - if that makes sense. They are in Loving and Reagan counties. I believe they are properly registered in my name as I get tax bills and occasional offers to purchase. So, I'm really attempting to understand (a) whether there is or has been production on any of these parcels for which I might be owed royalties and (b) whether there are other properties of which I might be unaware.

I am not enthusiastic about doing the research myself and so am looking for someone who is experienced in this type of thing. On a preofessional, paid basis, of course.

Tracy:

Both Loving and Reagan counties would be in the Permian Basin area of West Texas. Menton is the county seat of Loving and Big Lake is the county seat of Reagan. You will probably have to find someone to research these records at these county courthouses but I can't help you in this area. If you will click on "Groups" at top of page; go to County Groups; scroll to Texas then to Loving County. This site has individuals with interests in Loving County. You might inquire about who to contact to conduct some research at these County Clerk's offices.

Tracy Ammerman Scott said:

Thanks so much for your prompt reply!

I have specific info on the properties of which I am aware - if that makes sense. They are in Loving and Reagan counties. I believe they are properly registered in my name as I get tax bills and occasional offers to purchase. So, I'm really attempting to understand (a) whether there is or has been production on any of these parcels for which I might be owed royalties and (b) whether there are other properties of which I might be unaware.

I am not enthusiastic about doing the research myself and so am looking for someone who is experienced in this type of thing. On a preofessional, paid basis, of course.

Appreciate the advice!

I am concerned about your statement that you receive tax bills but not royalties? Minerals are not taxed in Texas only Royalties so if you are receiving a tax bill you should be receiving royalties. I would contact the operator that is shown on the tax bill you receive to check if your royalties are being held in suspense for some reason.

Lance:

I think Tracy is referring to property taxes. If not, that's another matter.

Lance Brashear said:

I am concerned about your statement that you receive tax bills but not royalties? Minerals are not taxed in Texas only Royalties so if you are receiving a tax bill you should be receiving royalties. I would contact the operator that is shown on the tax bill you receive to check if your royalties are being held in suspense for some reason.

Yes, the bills are property taxes. Still confused as to what type of professional I would get to research all this; a landman? My impression was that they concentrated on obtaining leases for production companies. An oil and gas attorney?

Any additional advice will be much appreciated. Thanks for the help so far!

Tracy: I believe some landsmen will conduct this type work. Problem is finding one in the area Where your minerals are located.

Hi Tracy -

If you will scan in your deeds or assignments and send them to me I will be happy to show you what is going on in the area(s) around your lands as far as drilling and production.

I really just need the legal descriptions if you want to send those instead of the complete document(s).

The Boys are right - researching the records to determine what your mineral ownership is something that a Landman would have to do for you. But you need to take into consideration that we are expensive - typically too expensive for it to be cost effective for an individual.

The solution to that is to wait until you are contacted by an oil company to lease your land and add a provision to the lease requiring that they provide you with copies of Maps, Title Notes, Title Run Sheets and Title Opinions on your lands. You can even require them to provide you with copies of Drilling Permits, Completion Reports and any Pooling or Unitization Agreements or Declarations, so that you can keep up with what is occuring from home.

Hope this helps -

Charles Emery Tooke III
Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas

You might want to check the Texas Unclaimed Property fund online to see if they lost track of you on paying royalties. Very easy to do,searches.

If you are getting property tax statements and there is no production, it probably means you own the surface also.

In addition to the free help offered by Mr. Tooke, probably the cheapest route is to contact a title company in those counties and pay them to do a search.

I wrote an article on the home page of this site with suggestions under the topic of how to hold down legal bills. There is also a good video tutorial on the home page on how to navigate the RRC website to locate wells and production info. These two counties are some of the hottest counties in the state right now. This may make title companies a liitle more expensive and slower than normal.

Great advice - thank you!

I greatly appreciate your offer of help. I will send the legal descriptions next week. Again, thanks!

Charles Emery Tooke III said:

Hi Tracy -

If you will scan in your deeds or assignments and send them to me I will be happy to show you what is going on in the area(s) around your lands as far as drilling and production.

I really just need the legal descriptions if you want to send those instead of the complete document(s).

The Boys are right - researching the records to determine what your mineral ownership is something that a Landman would have to do for you. But you need to take into consideration that we are expensive - typically too expensive for it to be cost effective for an individual.

The solution to that is to wait until you are contacted by an oil company to lease your land and add a provision to the lease requiring that they provide you with copies of Maps, Title Notes, Title Run Sheets and Title Opinions on your lands. You can even require them to provide you with copies of Drilling Permits, Completion Reports and any Pooling or Unitization Agreements or Declarations, so that you can keep up with what is occuring from home.

Hope this helps -

Charles Emery Tooke III
Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas