Researching companies/landmen

David,

I will look into this for you and get you paid. Will let you know shortly.

Thanks!!

Mark

David Scott said:

Well, the outfit is legitimate but it is taking forever and a day to get paid on the sight draft, which brings up an interesting question to anyone in the know. If you have another outfit that also wants to lease the land how long do you have to wait on the first deal before you can drop it and go for the second deal? I don’t want to sign a lease with another outfit if I’m still somehow obligated to the first outfit.

And…are there any special tax break for the bonus payment? Just wondering…

David - same here. I was contacted by a different landman with Upstream Innovations regarding leasing in Converse County just a week or so ago and thus I am also looking for info on this group. They have been helpful so far in researching some title and unit questions. Thanks for updating your posts and helping out the rest of us. How long was the site draft that they gave you? They generally specify a number of days that they have to research title before the bank issues payment to you. Your obligation with the first deal would be at least that long because they often won’t spend the money researching if you can still back out and lease with someone else. As for special tax breaks for bonus money, I’m not aware of any.

David Scott said:

Well, the outfit is legitimate but it is taking forever and a day to get paid on the sight draft, which brings up an interesting question to anyone in the know. If you have another outfit that also wants to lease the land how long do you have to wait on the first deal before you can drop it and go for the second deal? I don’t want to sign a lease with another outfit if I’m still somehow obligated to the first outfit.

David,

I got everything squared for you and the payout on your draft will take place today. Should you have any further questions give me a call. Thanks for your patience!!

Mark Matthews said:

David,

I will look into this for you and get you paid. Will let you know shortly.

Thanks!!

Mark

David Scott said:

Since there is another person on this thread dealing with the same situation I might as well post that I got word today I am not going to be paid on the draft. Man, talk about a lot of time and aggravation for nothing. At least it’s over.

David, Did you get paid? How long was it from the date you signed the lease until you finally got paid? My family has an offer from Upstream. Thanks, Dale Goodman

David Scott said:

Since there is another person on this thread dealing with the same situation I might as well post that I got word today I am not going to be paid on the draft. Man, talk about a lot of time and aggravation for nothing. At least it’s over.

David,

According to our records your draft was approved for July 8th. I have someone looking into this.

Thanks!

David Scott said:

Just so I know, is this on the property previously owned by your mother or is it the other owned by your uncle that you have not received payment?

Mark Matthews said:

David,

According to our records your draft was approved for July 8th. I have someone looking into this.

Thanks!

David Scott said:

Wow…thanks for starting this educational thread. I also received a decent offer from Upstream Innovations out of Parker Colorado…the phone numbers are unlisted and its a po box. I have no problem leasing my mineral rights and own 100% but the contract doesnt address surface use, damage, restoration and maintenance. Did you find any other title activity from other companies? There are some active pumps in the area…sounds like something Id like to do…with someone else if not them…just something I hadnt thought of. Also if I list my property for sale…which I planned to retain mineral rights anyways…but would this affect my title adversely in a sale? Thanks…please keep educating :slight_smile:

Well Jenny, I’m probably not the one to talk to but I’ll offer what I can. I do have another outfit after me but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so that’s why I was willing to wait as long as I did. I don’t have a problem with Upstream and from what I could gather from some references others had their deals work out okay. I think it is pretty common for almost all the land in the area to be sold without mineral rights- the original owners always keep those rights as far as I know. As far as pumps in the area I was going to be in Douglas June 23 and my work schedule changed so it is going to be another month or so, I’m going to drive by my section and if there is much activity I’ll let you know. As far as surface damage, I think as long as it is a standard lease you are okay. I would also say it may depend on how the past titles to the particular property were handled- you really need a lawyer for that aspect. Hope I’ve been of some help.

Thank you…I hope you get your payment! We bought 11 yrs ago and were surprised at closing when the landowner conveyed all mineral rights as he was a generational landowner of thousands of acres throughout east Aurora extending east to Bennett. It was interesting to research the DJ Basin referenced by Upstream. Our bottom portion is one of the lowest elevations in the area w/o being in the creek bottom and there is a re-activated pumper well less than a mile away which may be factors in the offer. Upstreams offer includes warrant of title which this very helpful forum leads me to think I will go for striking, and its 5 yr with 5 yr renewal which seems excessive so looks like we do need to negotiate a little. Of course I’d prefer a company that actually intends to drill…not only for royalties but putting a pump in front of my mean neighbors would be a hoot! lol. I’m going to check this Contex company referenced in the forum for Weld County too. Viva La Intenet!!

David Scott said:

Well Jenny, I’m probably not the one to talk to but I’ll offer what I can. I do have another outfit after me but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so that’s why I was willing to wait as long as I did. I don’t have a problem with Upstream and from what I could gather from some references others had their deals work out okay. I think it is pretty common for almost all the land in the area to be sold without mineral rights- the original owners always keep those rights as far as I know. As far as pumps in the area I was going to be in Douglas June 23 and my work schedule changed so it is going to be another month or so, I’m going to drive by my section and if there is much activity I’ll let you know. As far as surface damage, I think as long as it is a standard lease you are okay. I would also say it may depend on how the past titles to the particular property were handled- you really need a lawyer for that aspect.
Hope I’ve been of some help.

Jenny, I live near Bennett and I too have recieved a contract in the mail from Upstream Innovations, that is why I found this site. Please continue to post what you learn. Great information here. Mine had the 5 year and 5 year as well. I am still trying to figure out who I need to review it for me.

Thanks David for getting this started.

Brian

jenny said:

Thank you…I hope you get your payment! We bought 11 yrs ago and were surprised at closing when the landowner conveyed all mineral rights as he was a generational landowner of thousands of acres throughout east Aurora extending east to Bennett. It was interesting to research the DJ Basin referenced by Upstream. Our bottom portion is one of the lowest elevations in the area w/o being in the creek bottom and there is a re-activated pumper well less than a mile away which may be factors in the offer. Upstreams offer includes warrant of title which this very helpful forum leads me to think I will go for striking, and its 5 yr with 5 yr renewal which seems excessive so looks like we do need to negotiate a little. Of course I’d prefer a company that actually intends to drill…not only for royalties but putting a pump in front of my mean neighbors would be a hoot! lol. I’m going to check this Contex company referenced in the forum for Weld County too. Viva La Intenet!!

David Scott said:
Well Jenny, I’m probably not the one to talk to but I’ll offer what I can. I do have another outfit after me but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so that’s why I was willing to wait as long as I did. I don’t have a problem with Upstream and from what I could gather from some references others had their deals work out okay. I think it is pretty common for almost all the land in the area to be sold without mineral rights- the original owners always keep those rights as far as I know. As far as pumps in the area I was going to be in Douglas June 23 and my work schedule changed so it is going to be another month or so, I’m going to drive by my section and if there is much activity I’ll let you know. As far as surface damage, I think as long as it is a standard lease you are okay. I would also say it may depend on how the past titles to the particular property were handled- you really need a lawyer for that aspect.

David,

Did you receive your payment?

Mark Matthews said:

David,

Thanks!

David Scott said:

Well I’ll call my bank again but it’s already after 5 p.m. so it will be Monday at the earliest. They said the time ran out but if you said it was approved then maybe its out in limbo somewhere. My local bank didn’t even know what a sight draft was when I first brought it in. As I said in my earlier post, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, I would much rather go ahead with Upstream than have to start dealing with someone else. I’ll post as soon as I hear. Til then I’m taking the weekend off and going fishing.

Every blind dog finds a bone sometime, just not my turn. Upstream sent me a note that they are no longer interested. Darn!

brian gupton said:

Jenny,
I live near Bennett and I too have recieved a contract in the mail from Upstream Innovations, that is why I found this site. Please continue to post what you learn. Great information here. Mine had the 5 year and 5 year as well. I am still trying to figure out who I need to review it for me.

Brian

jenny said:

David Scott said:

Hi Brian. Just curious, was your note from Upstream that they were no longer interested received after trying to negotiate lease wording? I’ve also been working with them, but haven’t had any contact from them in 2 weeks which is when I sent my request for some wording changes on the lease. Thanks.

brian gupton said:

Every blind dog finds a bone sometime, just not my turn. Upstream sent me a note that they are no longer interested. Darn!

brian gupton said:
Jenny,
I live near Bennett and I too have recieved a contract in the mail from Upstream Innovations, that is why I found this site. Please continue to post what you learn. Great information here. Mine had the 5 year and 5 year as well. I am still trying to figure out who I need to review it for me.

Brian

jenny said:

David Scott said:

Cathy,

I’m glad you joined in. You need to give it a little time. The lease needs to be submitted for approval. Those decisions are made out of corporate. You will eventually be contacted by someone once word is received. And just to clarify, David did receive his payout, he just hasn’t replied.

Cathy Ugland said:

Hi Brian. Just curious, was your note from Upstream that they were no longer interested received after trying to negotiate lease wording? I’ve also been working with them, but haven’t had any contact from them in 2 weeks which is when I sent my request for some wording changes on the lease. Thanks.

brian gupton said:

brian gupton said:
Jenny,

Brian

jenny said:

David Scott said:

Thanks Mark. I appreciate your reply, I was concerned when I saw Brian Gupton’s note about receiving notification that Upstream was no longer interested in his property. I’ll try to relax. Thanks - Cathy

Mark Matthews said:

Cathy,

I’m glad you joined in. You need to give it a little time. The lease needs to be submitted for approval. Those decisions are made out of corporate. You will eventually be contacted by someone once word is received. And just to clarify, David did receive his payout, he just hasn’t replied.

Cathy Ugland said:

brian gupton said:

brian gupton said:
Jenny,

Brian

jenny said:

David Scott said:

Cathy,

I made no contact with Upstream. In fact, the letter was sent to me just a few days after the offer.

Cathy Ugland said:

brian gupton said:

brian gupton said:
Jenny,

Brian

jenny said:

David Scott said:

Thanks for the reply Brian, hopefully something else will come along for you. Have a great day.

brian gupton said:

Cathy,

I made no contact with Upstream. In fact, the letter was sent to me just a few days after the offer.

Cathy Ugland said:

brian gupton said:

brian gupton said:
Jenny,

Brian

jenny said:

David Scott said:

There back!

Upsteam is sending me a contract, again! Someone on here has to be able to tell me how much per acre is fair. If I am lowballed, I might have to "just say no."

Thoughts, ideas and suggestions appreciated.

brian gupton said:

brian gupton said:
Jenny,

Brian

jenny said:
Thank you...I hope you get your payment! We bought 11 yrs ago and were surprised at closing when the landowner conveyed all mineral rights as he was a generational landowner of thousands of acres throughout east Aurora extending east to Bennett. It was interesting to research the DJ Basin referenced by Upstream. Our bottom portion is one of the lowest elevations in the area w/o being in the creek bottom and there is a re-activated pumper well less than a mile away which may be factors in the offer. Upstreams offer includes warrant of title which this very helpful forum leads me to think I will go for striking, and its 5 yr with 5 yr renewal which seems excessive so looks like we do need to negotiate a little. Of course I'd prefer a company that actually intends to drill...not only for royalties but putting a pump in front of my mean neighbors would be a hoot! lol. I'm going to check this Contex company referenced in the forum for Weld County too. Viva La Intenet!!

David Scott said:
Well Jenny, I'm probably not the one to talk to but I'll offer what I can. I do have another outfit after me but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush so that's why I was willing to wait as long as I did. I don't have a problem with Upstream and from what I could gather from some references others had their deals work out okay. I think it is pretty common for almost all the land in the area to be sold without mineral rights- the original owners always keep those rights as far as I know. As far as pumps in the area I was going to be in Douglas June 23 and my work schedule changed so it is going to be another month or so, I'm going to drive by my section and if there is much activity I'll let you know. As far as surface damage, I think as long as it is a standard lease you are okay. I would also say it may depend on how the past titles to the particular property were handled- you really need a lawyer for that aspect.
Hope I've been of some help.