Researches and where to start

Hi! I’m relatively new to this forum. I inherited overriding royalties but also some Mineral Rights. There is some confusion regarding probate at the moment resulting in a legal dispute. The Minéral Rights are said to be in Texas - how do I go about finding them myself without employing yet another attorney? Thanks!

Try this as a start. It doesn’t have every single county, but it has the vast majority. https://www.texasfile.com

You can get a lot of direction by searching this forum for topics like “ new mineral owner” “newbie”. But start with what you have and put into an excel spreadsheet . Start with royalty checks, the will, estate inventory, whatever you find. You mainly want to establish 1) the legal description of the land 2), the lease it is under, 3) the associated wells 4) the decimal interest . Do Name searches at the county appraisal district (you have to pay ad valorem tax on producing wells), county clerks records to find deeds, leases ( Texasfile is often recommended ). Look under owner name to develop a chain of title; and also look for unit designations under well name to find what lease controls your interest). While it can be frustrating, looking up all this by yourself is a great way to control and understand your ownership.

Sounds like a lot, but look at it as the greatest scavenger hunt ever, with the prize of insuring you get paid for what you own.

1 Like

Many thanks for so many useful tips!

Along with what J_Walker said above, I suggest learning to use all the data that you can access through the Texas Railroad Commission’s GIS map.

Here’s a link to that part of RRC’s online resources that includes a users guide and video to help you get started. https://www.rrc.texas.gov/resource-center/research/gis-viewer/

The Mineral Help tab above is a useful place to start learning about the mineral business. When you find out more about what you own, you can ask questions and post them in the state and county topic area for each set.

Many thanks to everyone for being so helpful!

Can anyone refer me to a title searcher in Ohio who can help find mineral interests my father owned? He owned many interests but was very private about his affairs and I need to see what he owned that needs to be transferred to his heirs. Thanks !

Would suggest that you contact the National Association of Royalty Owners Ohio Chapter. They may be able to point you in the right direction. www.naro-us.org.

1 Like

Thank you very much !!!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.