Request for advice

I think I need a reasonable, competent Land Attorney for a Mineral Rights issue I have with my property in Ward County, TX. I didn’t know I had a Mineral Rights issue until now. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you. r/djm

Hi, Daniel!

Do you think it will require going to Court? If so, that would influence who I would suggest to you.

Sir, Thank you for your response. I am not sure at this time, but I certainly hope not. R/djm

Well, their are several very qualified and experienced people here on The Forum who might be able to help you. Some are Attorneys, others Landmen like myself. Whatcha’ got?

We can if you would like, but I believe the new Forum Layout has a way for us t have a private conversation. They want to limit responders from trying to take advantage of individuals such as yourself. I’ll write you an intro email and we can discuss that way. If you ever feel that I am trying to take advantage of you, please report it to the Forum administration.

1 Like

Hello Charles My name is John. I would like to know if all mineral, water, and leasing right belong to the State of Texas. What’s the right for landowner?

Hi John,

Mineral and water and leasing rights do not belong to the State of Texas (here in Texas), unless those rights were specifically reserved in land grant or patent.

The State does own quite a large amount of land with the combined mineral and water rights (lands in State Parks and lands that have not yet been patented, for example). And it owns the mineral rights in many, many tracts of lands and at times has the leasing rights for those lands. It also owns royalty rights in many, many tracts of land.

Water rights, as I understand, can be separated from the ownership of the surface, but for the most part they stay with the surface.

I’ll see if I have something on the subject you can read.

Are you curious about a particular tract of land?

See if this helps a little:

Evolution of Texas Land Surveys - Tobin 2002.pdf (293.3 KB)

1 Like

Yes, Iown 40 acre in Culberson Texas, section 8, block 53. One guy in the forum said, I am not get any right cause The State own the mineral right and water, the State also own the right for leasing and will allow any company comes and producing the product without my permit. Is it right? Thank you very much

Yes, theWD said at a point 2640.00 feet N 00’ 00’’ W from the southeast corner of section8, block 53, and northeast corner of lot 5 Can you check if anything or mineral right in here

As I know that General land sight the lease with some oil company there for all section 8

John -

Please see the attached.

GLO INFO SHEET A-4583 FINANCE ALL LLC.pdf (63.0 KB)

GLO LAND FILE, A-4583, CULBERSON CO, TX.pdf (7.8 MB)

It appears that in their sale to Finance All LLC in 2005, the State reserved all of the mineral rights, leasing rights, and ground water rights. The only rights you appear to own are the surface rights.

Wish I had better news.

Charles

John -

This probably doesn’t help much, but if you will see the attached aerial photo, as of 10-01-2014 Section 8, Block 53 PSL, A-4583 had no roads, no power lines, no apparent permanent surface water, no apparent existing water wells, no houses, stores or banks. Just dirt, rocks and very little vegetation.

The GLO Land File I sent previously stated that Finance All LLC purchased the land for what calculates out as $70.00 per acre. Hope you didn’t get too badly ripped off, but there is apparently a lot of that kind of thing going on out in West Texas.

Please note that none of these “Land Companies” are from The Great State Of Texas. At least none of the ones I have run across so far.

Just out of curiosity, are you military, ex-military or maybe employed somehow by the government? The reason I ask is that several people here on The Forum with those types of backgrounds have asked for my assistance in similar circumstances.

They had apparently found a link on some seemingly Government sponsored or approved website selling or auctioning off land in West Texas. Haven’t thought to ask what website or where the link took them. Well, not yet.

All but one couple were totally screwed by these “Land Companies / Developers”. They ended up with the same, realistically worthless surface only with no roads, power or water, etc., but ended up with some of their mineral rights (Yay!).

Nice people. Naval Intel.

GE AERIAL 10 01 2014.pdf (560.8 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for your information

You’re welcome. Sorry if if stings.

Hi Charles! As the land owner of the property, if the oil company want to install any pipeline in my property, do they need to have my permission?

John, you are correct. They need your permission and will have you execute an Easement contract.

Thank you very much. I have no idea what am I doing about this