Reeves Tax Appraisal taking over tax collection

I emailed the County Judge asking for his help in fixing the tax office and actually received a reply from the Deputy Chief Appraiser. Here is an excerpt from his email to me: “The appraisal district assumed new management in the beginning of 2022 and many changes have been made to make things more efficient and correct. As far as the tax office, as of this October they are no longer collecting taxes. The appraisal district has taken over collections. We are working diligently to verify and correct all data before notices are mailed out. Notices should be mailed out the middle of this month.”

In a later email he said: “In case you are not aware; we do have a new RCAD website where you can review appraisal data ((https://www.reeves-cad.org/). There is a lot of useful information on there as well. You can also see the new Reeves CAD Property Tax Department website at (https://reeves.propertytaxpayments.net/). Here you can easily view your tax statements and make payments online, as well as get receipts for your payments that has all the property information for your records. When paying by e-check, you can pay for as many accounts as you want, at one time, for only a $2 fee.”

Let’s hope the appraisal can accomplish what the tax office couldn’t.

2 Likes

Looking at link to Reeves CAD for unpaid taxes, I already find links to 2020 taxes which were paid on time 3 years ago. This is not promising.

2 Likes

The county I live appraisal office had me paying property tax on 30 acres i didn’t even owned. Then they had me paying property tax to the center of the Trinity river when its state property. With all this i was paying taxes on 45 to 50 acres that wasn’t my.

Update again- Check the tax year they claim is still owed and the taxing authorities they claim are owed. That may explain the dollar differences.

Update- eight accounts appeared on the CAD site. Six had been paid, but the amounts paid were different than what they show (incorrectly) is due now. Two wells were not billed.

In short, mostly inaccurate as to us, but not completely.

You can now search for past years taxes due at the link @txpaki provided above.

I did so and found, to my surprise (if anything could surprise me with Reeves CAD) several accounts saying we had not paid 2022 taxes. The ones I have checked so far were paid, but in different amounts.

Others have contacted Reeves CAD about these zombie accounts that have now appeared and been told that Reeves CAD may or may not eventually send out bills on these accounts, but that IT IS UP TO THE TAXPAYERS TO MONITOR THEIR SITE, FIND THE ACCOUNTS AND PAY THEM ON TIME OR PENALITES AND INTEREST WILL BE ASSESED. They are expecting payment BY DECEMBER 1.

I suggest contacting Reeves CAD and complaining about us having to monitor their website to look for unpaid balances on bills they have never sent out (and which are probably incorrect anyway).

Not a promising restart of their efforts to clean up this mess.

The site has all my past payments recorded correctly. And they’re charging me for the correct properties for 2023. The only issue I have is for 4 properties that went online in 2021 but were never billed for 2021. There’s still no information for those. The other 3 related interests that went online at the same time were billed and paid in early 2023. My fear is somehow I’ll get charged penalty and interest for the 4 missing ones without ever knowing they were finally billing me. At least the information they do have is correct.

Just reviewed mine again. Unpaid shows to be current and correct with nothing showing up from previous year(s). I created an account and added my six properties to it. I am wondering if we will receive a “proper” statement from the tax collection entity (which I understand is the appraisal district). Something about the appraisal district also handling tax collection and billing seems off to me, but it is what it is.

ANTOHER UPDATE - 2023 bills are now on the site and the past due ones actually range from 2020-2022 on the eight they are showing as still due. With all the catch up billing Reeves did it will take a while to confirm that we were never billed for these eight accounts. I may have spoken too early about most of those being paid, but I would still be surprised to find none were previously billed and paid.

That still does not excuse their threat to apply penalties and interest when they have never mailed out a bill. Expecting people to monitor their site and look for money owed is ridiculous, especially considering the meltdown this office has gone through.

I question the legality of Reeves County CAD taking the position that taxpayers are responsible to randomly review their website without an being sent an appraisal notice and/or a tax statement. Would this also apply to a revised (increased) valuation and increase in taxes due when the the taxpayer has already paid the original statement and has a receipt? What if the tax valuation is reduced and the taxpayer is due a refund - would this be the taxpayer’s responsibility to find the over-payment for prior years online and demand the refund? It is certainly disturbing to learn that Reeves CAD has no plans to send out the 2020-2022 statements. This creates another problem - Suppose Reeves CAD sends out 2023 tax bills for say $2,000 and also claims the taxpayer owes $200 for 2020 prior year unbilled taxes. Will Reeves CAD apply $200 first to the 2020 taxes and only $1,800 to the 2023 taxes, leaving an additional $200 due for 2023? What will the receipts look like? How will the taxpayer be able to reconcile the taxes? Looking at the Reeves CAD website, the only way to find back taxes due is to open each well one-by-one and look to see if there are multiple years due. You cannot search by tax year for unpaid taxes.

Reeves CAD staff told me they are expecting statements/notices to go out starting the end of next week.

I doubt it is legal. This may have just been a staffer popping off as I cannot imagine they won’t eventually mail out paper statements, if for no other reason than they will collect a lot more money if they mail out statements. As for making sure they don’t confiscate your payments and apply them to prior year taxes, I would wait until paper statements arrive and then tender payment on specific statements and identify the statements being paid on the check.

I received a wad of property tax statements today for land taxes and mineral taxes. The mineral taxes seem very low, not that I am complaining! Has anyone else seen the same thing for 2023? The taxable value for Zelda-Link E well is only $16,256. Seems kind of low. The other Zelda-Link W is $101,726. Both are horizontal wells in BLK 13 Section 237-238.

You should have seen this difference in reviewing the Notice of Tax Valuation which was sent last spring and the related CAGI detail reports. This is due to the fact that in 2022, there was a significant difference in production between the two wells. In Dec 2022, Zelda East produced 1317 bbl oil and Zelda West produced 2558 bbl. No two horizontal wells are identical. Also your valuation can differ if your royalty decimal is not the same in the wells - such as 0.0000123 vs 0.0045600. Save all your paperwork or scan to your computer files so you can always review to get a better understanding.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.