Reeves County, TX - Oil & Gas Discussion archives

==> Comment by CallieTX on Thursday Hi Mike… I don’t know which survey it is, but highlighted it on the map attached.C8_6.png. So about a mile away Chesapeake has a newly permitted well. <== Callie TX/Mike – Chesapeake’s permits in this immediate area are over 2 years old and likely have expired. Clayton Williams is currently drilling J-V Chesapeake acreage SW of Mike’s holdings (Public School Block C8, Section 6). Didn’t want to get your hopes up too high just yet on current activity. Later – Buzz

This may not be the right place for this but I’ll ask anyway.

Maybe somebody can direct me to a forum more suitable.

I’ve been offered $265 an acre for my land and I have no idea whether there is a potential lease on the horizon even if this is a reasonable price.

Thoughts?

Mike/Callie TX – more specifically on using the RRD Map Viewer [ http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/data/online/gis/index.php# ]… 1st - On the above site, click the hot link: “Welcome to the RRC’s Public GIS Map Viewer.” 2nd -on the first screen (w/map of Texas, etc.) click the button “Survey/Abstract”. 3nd - on next screen select the county on the drop down menu and enter Abstract Number, then click “Search” 4th - on next screen that shows your information, select “Map” Then you can navigate left/right, up/down, zoom in and out, etc. Later – Buzz

Thank you Lori!

For some reason I was having trouble finding that.

John Doss - using A-3151 (thanks Lori), I located your property on the RRC map section… doesn’t look like I can provide you a direct link. Your Section 10 is prominent in that it has two pipelines running across it, a railroad (one time, at least) and Ranch Road 2119… a prime location for someone to drill a well, surface-wise. There doesn’t appear to be a beehive of current drilling activity in your immediate area. However, I did find a freshly permitted horizontal location in Section 8, about a mile due west of your Section 10. Here are the specifics: Operator: Cimarex Energy Co. Well Name/No.: Morningstar 55-8 #1H API No. 389-32838 Permit Approved 5-6-11 Permitted Depth: 11,800’ Survey/Block/Section: T&P RR CO/55 T5S/8 The permit says it’s located 22.7 miles NE of Pecos (that would put it in Ward or Winkler County)… I say it’s more like 15 miles NW of Pecos. Hope this helps. Later – Buzz

Mike/Callie TX - on the RRC Map Viewer all you need enter is the County and Abstract Number… then click the ‘Map’ square in upper right. Then you can navigate left/right, up/down, zoom in and out. Kinda clanky, but effective if you’re patient. If you enter an item, it must be exact and in the format the site is set up for, e.g., if a company’s proper name is So-And-So ‘Co.’, do not enter So-And-So ‘Company’. Mike, have we answered all your questions except what to lease your land for? It is odd-shaped and smaller… that is a detriment. Later – Buzz

All – it seems like some would benefit from a Midland Map Company “Ownership Map”. I obtain an updated one periodically: (432) 682-1603… they’ll take credit card or mail invoice if you are a past customer. Generally, the map shows Survey/Block/Section (you need this this basic info or another landmark, town, etc.), Abstract No., mineral owner, surface owner (if different), latest leasor and when lease expires, # acres, whether it’s ‘mineral classified’, roads, railroads, towns, well locations, permit locations… what else do you need? My favorite size is an 18" x 18" Plat, Scale 1" = 4,000’, which covers 175 square miles, more or less. COST = $42 + S&H ($12.50 cheapest). If that’s not big enough, I get more than one map. It’s handy to know that Reeves is divided into three map sections… Reeves ‘North’, ‘Central’ and ‘South’… if you straddle two sections on a single map there is an extra charge (almost like getting 2 maps). I do know that the boundary between Reeves Central and South is an East-West line running 7-8 miles south of Toyah. Maps are updated 4 times a year… the next scheduled courthouse visit for Reeves was 6-28-11 but it will take the draftsman several weeks to update because there is so much activity… try to get the latest update even if you have to wait several days, so ask! For whatever reason, Midland Map refers to Item Code “INSERT A”; 18x18 Plat-Reeves Central. Then describe a known point, e.g., ideally your Survey/Block/Section… Town of Toyah… or whatever (there aren’t many landmarks, ya know), and indicate you want that landmark to be in the Center, Center Bottom, Center Top, or whatever. The point is you and the person taking your order must be on the same landmark and where you want it located on your 18x18 Plat. Hope this helps… I’m sure I forgot something! Later – Buzz

Looking at my post I see I was really unclear. I apologize.

I haven’t located the abstract number yet.

The $265/ac was for surface & minerals; my share of the property.

John – you indicated you own ‘an undivided interest in a piece of land’… in other words you share interest is all the acres… i.e., you do not own any acres outright, is that your understanding? Let me ask, what is the TOTAL offer per acre? If I had the abstract number, I could send you a RRC map link showing permitting activity around your property. I’ll be back later. Buzz

Buzz/John - I looked it up. I think it’s in Abst. 3151. Another factor is whether the land is mineral classified (Relinquishment Act). Lot of properties in Reeves are.

• Callie TX - mike here. thanks for info update. i checked out the map site you gave me and links. that well borehole no.31847 right in that map is on our property - the anita peairs well - named after my mother. that’s as far as ive gotten. my abstract no. is a-2395, i am pretty sure. but i also have an abstract of title no.89659. still struggling with finding numbers etc. for viable detailed research. do you know how i can tell what is the exact ‘survey name’ it asks for on tx.rr.comm. site. the computer work confounds me and slows me down. thanks again so much. mike b.

John Doss friend – ==> How would one determine whether the land is mineral classified (Relinquishment Act) or not? John seems to think that it is not but isn’t sure. <== I am wading into unfamiliar territory here, although I’m vaguely familiar… I will leave it to others. At this point, I would defer to John as I believe he would have crossed that bridge before if the property had ever been leased, and I feel sure it has been. ==> … information from John: His portion is an undivided portion, but seems to be about 28 acres. He has been offered $265 each [i.e., per acre] for a total of $7420 by someone who owns a major portion of the land. Assuming the land is not mineral classified is this a fair value? <== Using this criterion: As a rule of thumb, the sale of minerals may go for 3 to 4 times the amount of a going lease bonus payment. THEREFORE, NOT ENOUGH MONEY… especially with the recent CIMAREX location ~1 mile due west. ==> If it was [i.e., mineral classified], I assume the value would be less? <== Again, mineral-wise, about half, I would say. Hope This Helps, but please realize I’m getting into uncharted waters where I have no direct experience, only hearsay. -– Later – Buzz

Buzz

I have passed this information on to John and he has asked me to express his gratitude for all of your assistance and input.

Everybody here has been extremely helpful.

Thank you again.

Thank you, Buzz.

I ordered one and it should be here by the end of the week. Maybe John can get a lead on neighbors who can give him some idea of the land value. CAD tax values don’t seem realistic and probably don’t even take mineral rights into consideration.

Thanks for the info, R.T.!

This is starting to explain a lot.

The Company is in the early stages of a major oil play in Reeves County targeting the Bone Springs and Wolfcamp formations (Wolfbone). The Company has leased 20,000 acres and will add significantly more acreage through a drill to earn farm-out agreement with Chesapeake Exploration. CWEI earns a 75% interest in 640 net acres for each well that it carries Chesapeake to the tanks for a quarter interest.

The Company is making significant front-end investments in this play: to acquire the acreage, the Chesapeake Carry, and to build pipelines and other infrastructure. The amount and timing of these investments will depend on drilling results.

Drilling and completion operations have begun on 13 wells. We are currently running seven rigs in Reeves County and plan to increase the rig count to 11 rigs in the near future.

“Early indications are encouraging,” stated Clayton W. Williams, Jr., President and Chief Executive Officer of the Company, “but we need more production data. We are accelerating drilling operations to meet the Chesapeake agreement and to further evaluate our acreage.”

Mike Brewer – Any luck on leasing your land south of Toyah? On 7/25-27th I was in the area. Petrohawk was drilling a horizontal well 5-1/2 miles southeast of you. The well, Herrington 55-T7-32 #1H, was spudded 7-18-11. They have another location 10 miles south of that, just north of Balmorhea. Petrohawk has opened an office in Pecos in the TransPecos Bank building downtown, but I don’t have a phone number. Also, Petrohawk has 6 locations 9-12 miles northwest of Pecos where it has completed drilling 2 and currently drilling 3 of those. From what I saw, a behive of activity with 35-40 rigs running in Reeves County.Later – Buzz

Reach me directly at

EDITED - Use the private messaging system for contact information

Mike – ‘spud date’ means the date the ‘big rig’ commences drilling.

It seems like you have received a decent offer. You would prefer to lease to someone likely to drill in your area. On my ownership map recently received – updated with filed information thru 6-28-11 – Petrohawk has fresh leases around you in the name of “Petrohawk”, “Petrohawk, etal” and “Teche Expl, etal”. It would be odd is they were leasing in their name… there is no telling what company name your suitor may be using.

Incidentally, an early owner (1911) of our section was apparently your great-grandfather, Joe Preusser…

Later – Buzz

Ria – I replied by e-mail… Later – Buzz