Reeves Co Tax Office updated

Just received bill for well I do not own.…. Lulu Part State 199-200. How is everyone handling the situation? Seems like they will be overwhelmed with phone calls.

1 Like

Do not understsnd why my empty lots are being ASSESED at 13k for mineral (MIPA) purposes.Got tax bill and paid it in Dec. Now i recieved a Supplemental Tax Bill. Say city Tax was not included.

Assesed Vslue is 17k of property…on empty lots But still double taxed…

1 Like

Surface and producing minerals are valued and taxed separately. You should have received two Notices of Appraised Value - one for the surface and one for the producing minerals (Well) last spring. You had 30 days to protest either or both valuations. Otherwise you are taxed separately on the surface and the well. Basically, the Reeves CAD is saying that your surface alone is worth $17,280 and that your mineral rights in the well is valued at $13,237 - for a combined total of $30,517. Go to the Reeves CAD website and under Online Services and then Property Search. On left side, on drop-down menu, select name and enter your name in the center. On the left side, select the year. Then hit the select magnifier icon and you can see the tax information. Here is the website - https://stage.reeves.prodigycad.com/

1 Like

Just recieved 3 supplimental tax bills- one for nearly a million dollars. Called the office and the clerk said that some bills had been incorrectly generated, system was down, call back in a couple of days. I about had a heart attack!

1 Like

I got one for a well that isn’t mine. Plus double billed on wells that are. Im starting to think these people are just messing with us now. Have never seen such bad management.

1 Like

Reeves Tax Office has acknowledged a software issue caused them to send out incorrect statements to incorrect owners.

I am also seeing some bills now for 2020 and 2021 taxes for wells that were not billed when they did their big catchup billing this summer.

So to summarize the comments plus what I have seen, if you get a Reeves Tax Statement it may be: 1) owed; 2) on wells you have no interest in; 3) for taxing authorities they forgot to bill for earlier; 4) on wells they forgot to bill for earlier; or 5) on wells they did bill for earlier and you have already paid.

3 Likes

Great point, is the operator having the same stringent title requirements for that interest, as they are for yours… What’s the title issue with your interest? I thought I remember you getting that sorted out, from what I recall you’ve got a pretty nice mineral interest. Great story too!

1 Like

I have received three supplemental tax statements for 2020 and 2021 for properties I don’t own. Contacted Reeves County Tax Office and they referred me to CAGI, who says “we are aware of the error and are working with RCAD and Tax Office to correct.” So you are correct, everyone is pointing fingers. I wonder how we know that it has been fixed since we are being sent tax notices on properties we don’t even own! We have been in the CAGI database for years, and none of these show up. I thought the whole idea of outsourcing was to get someone who knows what they are doing. I don’t think I have seen a bigger mess, and it is up to us to make sure we pay correctly so we don’t get foreclosed on!!! :grimacing:

3 Likes

I feel your pain, Joy. I wonder how many of us there are. I’ll bet a lot of people don’t talk about it on here. I’m going to send a certified letter to the Tax Office instead of calling. Maybe they should pay us penalty and interest for taking up our time and energy for their incompetence!

4 Likes

Sort of like covid - wondering when you are going to get it. Online, I am still showing just the four wells I was expecting. I keep checking there to see if there is a change. Surely in this day of “supposed” taxpayer rights, someone or group within our state elected officials/agencies would like to know about this issue. I know the RRC has no interest (I don’t think) but surely others will oversight how elected officials and agencies operate would want to get involved.

2 Likes

Hey Diesel, I did get a pretty nice mineral interest and right after I was told they were going to put more wells on it. I went ahead and sold a % so that I could buy property then got my funds suspended for heirship issues. My story was 100% honest. They said they believed me and contracted with me for lease and went forward with the expense of drilling then basically said they don’t believe me. It’s difficult because I was never acknowledged by this side of my family and now everyone that could say so is dead. The thing is the oil company knew all this already. I don’t have any income now and have to pay taxes and will have to pay capital gains on the money I already spent on the property i am moving to. So the great story has turned into a nightmare. I feel like the oil company is taking advantage of me . They get to keep making money on property that Texas says I own 100%

So did they tell you that they’ll accept an affidavit of heirship when they leased, then it came time to distribute the royalty revenue off the well, and they then told you they won’t accept the affidavit of heirship? Did you sell a % of your minerals to the operator? Ask the operator for a copy of the Division Order Title Opinion on your interest. That should tell you what you need to do.

2 Likes

A new error surfacing at the Reeves Tax Office and Capitol. At least one of our bills got sent to someone named “Wade” in Houston, who was astute enough to track me down and alert us. It was our well but wrong taxpayer because he had the same first name.

Good luck if you are named “John” or “Mary”.

Capitol is aware of it and fixing the issue.

1 Like

What a goat rodeo in Reeves County. Plenty of incompetence to go around here, both privately and publicly.

A goat rodeo would be better organized!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.