Recently discovered I own Mineral Rights in Upton TX

Apparently, my Great Grandfather purchased some mineral rights from the CCSD&RGNG RR CO in what appears to be the 1920’s. I recently received an unsolicited offer to sell them. (I did not even know I owned them). In speaking with other family members, there were several purchases over several years but the paperwork was destroyed since these were deemed “worthless” by other family members. The ownership would have gone from my great grandfather, to grandfather, to father and now to me.

I have the block, section and survey for at least one of these purchases.

Any thoughts or direction on how to determine what I have and potentially getting copies of the original paperwork?

Thanks.

1 Like

Use the RRC’s GIS Map Viewer to see if there are permitted and/or producing wells on your minerals in Upton County. Click on the “?” in the blue circle at the top of the map viewer for the user guide. Use texasfile or courthousedirect portals to search Upton county recordings online, e.g., your grandfather’s name as grantee.

1 Like

Also, you might want to check Texas abandoned property at the Secretary of State.

1 Like

As AJ11 aluded too, the GIS map will show you the counties. Upton is the one below Midland county. So zoom into Midland and go down to the bottom of Midland county. Upton County is the next one. This will show you what and where the wells are and you can then find the API numbers for the wells and the Abstract # for the county. As far as knowing what you own, I would start with the Upton County website and see what you can find there. Also check the unclaimed property for Texas. You may need to get a landman to find the records. If so then use the menu above to find an Attorney or landman. I have used several Attorneys from above menu on this site and they have introduced to me landmen that can help. You do not need to specific for the landman as to where he is located in Texas as they go to most county offices and do the research of documents. There is a cost for that though. I hope that helps some? MK

If you provide your great grandfather’s name, I will check the index for Upton County records at Texas File.

You might have “hit the lotto”! Don’t sell what ever you do. Did they tell you how many net mineral acres you and your family own.

Appreciate everyone’s input. I have looked on texasfile but appears it only goes back to 1984.

I think there is 640 acres. But without the paperwork it is speculation. A google map search of the block/section shows very few wells with a lot of wells around it.

Exciting.

Unfortunately Texas File online records for Upton County only go back to 1984, so that won’t help with eStarret’s great grandfather.

1 Like

I’ve used TexasFile, but prefer https;//Reeves.TX.PublicSearch.US perhaps this system also serves Upton.

I suggest you call back the buyer who cold-called you, ask them what they know, what old deeds they rely on. Tell them you’re acting on behalf of family, figuring out what you own & whether to sell. Possibly you’ll be speaking to a telemarketer who doesn’t understand or possess title docs, but it doesn’t hurt to ask what they know. If all else fails, hire a landman.

I am in basically the same situation. Just found out about it this week. I am working on getting all the relevant family wills to the county clerk as my first step but haven’t gotten any farther than that. Looks like you’re about two months ahead of me. Have you hired a landman and attorney or have you had success working on the problem yourself?

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.