Receivership Leases?

I have inherited three groups of leases in three different counties. The more I look into these leases, the drilling that has already taken place, (without our families permission), the county courts, the landsmen etc. the more it looks like a huge rigged operation, with lease owners on the wrong end of the deal. Why should I pay a lawyer, to get back lease rights that I own, and are perpetual? Why do i need to pay a lawyer to file papers in the courts to get money the counties have been sitting on (collecting interest) ever since some oil land gas companies tried drilling many years ago. The only way that can happen, is if the "drillers" convince a judge our families (yours and mine) could not be located. My last offer from a landsman stated they would be glad to get our

lease rights back to our families, in return for us signing over said rights to them. There are words to describe that kind offer, but it would not be printed by this forum.

There must be thousands of folks going thru the same song and dance we are!


You know it, but it really sound like you better get an attorney unfortunately. I would recommend Tim Dowd he is the best that we have found, however there are many to choose from.

Hi Bob -

Landsmen are Gardeners and Landscapers. We are Landmen, and the term applies to both men and women. There are no Landwomen.

It sounds like your interests are subject to Receivership Leases, which are applied for through the Courts when different Mineral Owners cannot be identified (unidentified heirs, for example) or located by the companies using reasonable efforts. Receivership Leases are a normal event - no one has been conspiring against you.

The Court appoints a Receiver, typically the County Clerk or the County Court Clerk, who negotiates a lease on behalf of the parties that cannot be located or identified. As people such as yourself discover that they are the owners of the mineral interests, it is up to them to "cure" their title issues, proving who they are to the Court and the Receiver.

That may take copies of Deeds or Assignments, Affidavits of Heirship, Probate or Administration Papers, whatever it takes to prove that you either inherited the interests or otherwise acquired them.

If you will contact the Courts in the three different Counties, they will be happy to guide you through the process of gathering the information you need and provide you with the address of the County Clerk's Offices where you will need to file the various records in order to establish your claim.

All of the documents gathered from different Counties to be filed in the three subject Counties will need to be certified copies. Once they are filed in each of the three subject Counties, you will need certified copies of the documents from those three Counties to submit to the Court. Once the Court approves your claim, they will release any royalties they are holding.

You will then need to contact the company(ies) operating the Wells and provide them with certified copies of the subject documents and a copy of any Judgment of the Court approving your claim, proving to the company(ies) that you own the subject mineral interests.

They will probably then send you a Royalty Division Order to sign and once that is returned release any royalties they have been holding in suspense for you and begin sending you your regular royalty checks.

That appears to be quite a bit of work and, yes, it can be expensive. Perhaps what the Landman you spoke to before meant was that he would do all of that work and pay all those expenses for a percentage of your mineral rights.

I am not as knowledgeable about that sort of arrangement as I would like to be. I know that a law firm can negotiate such an arrangement, but I am not sure whether a Landman can.

I advise that you consult an experienced Oil and Gas Attorney on your and your extended family's issues. Maybe one Attorney can resolve all of your issues together, thus making it all much more cost effective.

If you do not have an Attorney or know one, I will be happy to suggest a few to you. Several answer questions here on The Forum.

Hope this helps -

Charles Emery Tooke III

Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas

Hi Captain Smith!

I just looked at Bob's page and his properties appear to be in Texas and North Dakota.

As you mentioned to me previously, Mr. Dowd lives in Oklahoma City and is an extremely qualified and experienced Oil and Gas Attorney. He might also be licensed in Texas, but Bob will need one for North Dakota as well.

I don't know any Attorney's licensed to practice in North Dakota.


If he is not I am sure will make a good referral to both states.

Also beware and informed that there are a lot of oil and gas con men out there looking to prey mostly on the elderly that are out of state so you have to be very careful who you are dealing with. I for one will never trust any landman especially in these bad times they get desperate and will do anything criminal to make a buck.


Dear Mr. Odell,

An overview of the Texas receivership process is located here:

A lawsuit is filed with the district court to appoint a receiver for the missing or unknown heirs of the last mineral owner of record. The lawsuit for the receivership lease will be located in the District Court records.

With judicial decree, a Receivership Lease is granted and the receivership lease is filed of record in the Official Public Records of the particular Texas county where the property is located. Many times the Receiver is the County Clerk. Read the lease for the answer.

Locate the appropriate lease and contact the receiver and potentially the attorney ad litem who represented the interests of the missing or unknown heirs. I would also determine the amount of money involved. I would likely hire a good title attorney to help in perfecting title into my name.

Can you find what you are looking for? Yes, if the lease has been filed of record. Find the lease and go forward from there.


Buddy Cotten