Received offer for 20.5 mineral acres

That’s pretty accurate in the Barnett or anyplace where production is older, the upside is non-existent, extremely hopeful, or otherwise unlikely to happen anytime soon.

In the Delaware almost all of the value, in most cases, IS the upside. Multiples of PDP (current production) cash flow is out the door and there is no hard fast rule. This is just spitballing here, but here is how I think someone would attempt to value this acreage.

Let’s say hypothetically that you look at 23S 28E, and decide there are 3 economic landing zones likely to be drilled. 2nd Bone Spring, upper Wolfcamp A/XY, and lower Wolfcamp C/D whatever people want to call it. Let’s call that 12 Proved-but-UnDeveloped locations (PUDs) per mile wide unit. Then you need to generate an oil-gas type curve for each type of well, let’s call them all 2 mile laterals. So you look at all the offsets in those zones, get an average production profile to-date for them scaled to 2 mile horizontal length, then forecast it out for 40 years or so. Those production profiles times realized pricing is going to give you expected revenue for a future well. Then you need to have some estimate of when these wells might be drilled. If the well is already permitted, figure spud date in 150 days, and online in another 200 days. We will throw those wells in the “Permits” bucket and reduce the PUD count by 1 for each. If a well has been drilled but has not started producting, figure it will come online in 120 days and call those wells DUCs (drilled-uncompleted), and reduce the PUD count by 1 for each well. Then you need to estimate when the remaining PUDs will come online.

For the sake or argument say you have zero idea, but math says that at the rate that rigs are currently running in 23S 28E, each 2 mile area should have 12 wells in 15 years. Space out the remaining wells at 1.25 year intervals from today.

In the end, somebody doing this pretty quick analysis is going to get a forecast/revenue stream for 4 buckets.

• PDP - current production - discount back at 10-12%
  • DUC - well waiting to come online, little risk of this not happening thus discount back at 15-18%
  • Permit - reasonably good chance this will happen, discount slightly higher at 18-20%
  • PUD - risky, birds completely in the bush, discount at 25%+.

Again, discount rate gets higher the more risky it is that something will actually happen or not. 25% ROR sounds like a fantastic investment, but that represents the risk that stuff you have zero-control over will happen.

That may all sound complicated but its basically a 25 column excel spreadsheet with 480 rows (40 years). Discount all those future cash flows back to today at those discount rates. Tells somebody what your acreage is worth.

I can spare you the suspense, but for 23S 28E Sec 10, $13k per NRA is a pretty good offer IMO.

It’s not a Golden Goose, it’s an investment decision like any other resource. There is no guarantee of anything. That’s the oil business. It might double, it might be worth nothing if nobody drills any wells there. The beauty of no control. NM is a forced pooling state with 200% penalty given in almost all cases. If you don’t lease to somebody you are looking at either being a WI owner or you are looking at not being in the wells at all for a good long while. Coming from the operator’s side, if you don’t sign a lease in NM, then thanks for your free portion of the well, bro. Oh and btw, we will be the one’s calculating when we reached 200% payout. Sign a lease for the best terms possible.

1 Like

:grinning: The old “good decision, but I really meant bad decision” compliment.

I like that discussion above by NMoilboy and the details it lays out. All of you need to remember that this is a “force pooling” state. That is one of the best cards in your hand. If you have a small mineral interest, don’t do anything. LET THEM DRILL WITHOUT YOU. Look up forced pooling on the net for your state.

RonInCa,

I have inherited mineral deeds in the Lea County area, too. My grandmother asked me to never, never ever sell the mineral deeds. She said that we never know what we don’t know about valuable minerals - maybe something they haven’t discovered that they need yet. The 13K is to purchase the deeds - this ends any leases you have enjoyed in the past. If you need the money the choice is yours (of course!) but I wouldn’t if it were me.

Sharli

Also, I’ve had requests to purchase in the last year for as much as $50,000 per acre. As I said before, I’m not selling.

1 Like

Thanks Sharli for being upfront and I appreciate your advice. Like you my rights came from my grandparents and I want to keep mine and see what develops in the future. I believe most of my cousins that received the same offers agreed to sell but I don’t need to so like you I will see what the future holds.

1 Like

Not leasing isn’t what I would suggest. If they drill a well in the State of New Mexico…you have three options:

1. Lease
  2. Elect to participate…this can be very costly…your mineral interest turns into a working interest and you can be held liable for anything that goes wrong…
  3. Don’t participate and the company takes the entire cost of drilling that well TIMES THREE usually when they force pool you.

I always recommend leasing.

1 Like

Margaret,

Your section 22 interests should be covered in the pooling orders for both halves of section 22. Once Chevron drills and completes the east half of section 15 and 22 ( 3 wolfcamp A wells ) they will have the whole of sections 15 and 22 in that zone. They have already drilled the west half and while they were completing ( fracing ) the the center well started flowing and they will have to let it flow to relieve pressure.

Your current leases with BK and Chevron are most likely for the 30 year old Brushy Canyon wells. In my opinion those can be plugged back and re-completed shallower and yield some more. This was done by Ram Energy back in 2002 in section 14 with good success.

While Chevron already had some of the Old Verticles in that area, last year they quietly bought or traded for approx 56 more of the old Brushy Canyon verticle wells from Rockcliff Energy. This gives them a nice tie in with other properties they had on the east and north east area of the Pecos river.

They have now created a Chevron Operated Development area with these properties. If you purview their 2019 Analysts presentation from March it shows this area as a development area when it has not in the past. Much future activity here in my opinion.

The next wells they appear to have requested drilling permits on are also in T23 R28 in the east half of sections 25 and 36. They will be using their factory model and drilling 3 wells that are 2 mile horizontals into the Wolfcamp A. They are also drilling 2 Bonespring 3 horizontals in the same location.

The Bonespring and Wolfcamp wells named Toro Gigante and Toro Invicta in sections 14 and 23 considered as a 320 acre pool have produced approx 550,000 barrels of oil since Nov 2017 and that is including downtime for pipeline tie ins at the end of 2018.

As for selling vs getting royalties, in 2012 my father was offered $75,000 for our 21 acres by Chesapeake, the wells were 22 years old and production was down, I told my father to reject and he did. Since 2012 we have made over $100,000 in royalties. As of right now we have de-risked Wolfcamp A and Bonespring 2 potential, deeper Wolfcamps will be drilled in the next 2 years further north and I hope de-risking those zones.

Thank you so much, Margaret, for your response. I was just offered $15,000 per acre for my 20.5 mineral acres. Seems attractive but that is the second offer I have received. The previous offer was $13,000 per acre from another company. To me, it seems that my acres have great potential. This is the first time anyone has contacted me to purchase. I wished I knew more about the goings on there but I just inherited them less than two years ago. Can you tell me anything more?

1 Like

Chevron just brought a rig in and started drilling the CB Hays wells in the E/2 of Sec 3/10. Kind of figure it will park there until it has drilled the 3 wells going north and the 3 wells going south into Margaret’s Sec 22 acreage.

Nothing in Ron’s acreage yet but activity nearby tends to rise all boats. Assuming it’s all still held by the 1972 lease at 1/8th royalty, $15k/NRA (NMA) isn’t all bad IMO.

Thanks NMoilboy for your input. A part of me wants to hold onto the acres and see what happens but $307K is nothing to scoff at either. Feels like I’m going to be down to a coin toss. Let me throw out a scenario. Let’s say that my acres do get drilled on and they are very productive, what amount of royalties can I expect with my 1/8 royalty? I know my question is not precise but I’m trying to determine if it’s worth the wait (which I don’t mind waiting) for it to be worthwhile.

Let’s say they go drill 3 wells in the W/2 of Sec 3 and 10. Same as they have permitted in the E/2.

Looking for analogies, lets say those wells are something like the nearby API #s 3001543499 and 3001543495. (Yes these are longer laterals, so we will bump those others up a bit to predict what these will make)

So when those 3 wells come online, they may make something like 80,000 barrels of oil and 400,000 mcf the first month (combined). You should own 20.5/640 * 1/8 = 0.4% of the revenue from them.

Let’s say after taxes and whatever you net $45 per barrel and $1.5/mcf…flat prices forever.

So month 1: (80,000 x $45 net + 400,000 x $1.5 net) * .004 = $17k to you. That seems pretty awesome, at that pace its an 18 month payout to $307k. Unfortunately they then go on a REAL steep decline, eventually flatten out, etc. I would think in about 2 years you would make 10 times what they made in the first month. So we are up to $170k of revenue. Over the next 20+ they would probably make about 150% of that same amount. I did the detailed math and I got $450k worth of revenue over 20 years for those 3 wells. They would still be making $500/mo or something.

It’s more than $307k. If you just took 307k and invested it today in S&P at, what 9%, you would do better than that. And you will be paying income taxes as ordinary income on the royalty money, where you could cap gain or 1031 the sale.

In general, a pretty good well, happening in the next 2-3 years…on a 640 acre tract…is worth about $5k/nra at 10% discount rate. If you don’t know whether or not a well will get drilled, you probably want to risk future cash flows at a rate a lot higher than 10%. So, 3 wells that haven’t even been permitted yet are not IMO worth $15k/nra.

Now obviously the value of the acreage is in them drilling more than 3 wells. If for instance they drill 9-12 wells on your acreage than you are starting to see golden eggs. But will that happen? (I think it might) Will that happen soon? (No clue) What happens when you start discounting back cash flows from 10 years in the future at 9%? Or higher? Somebody paying $15k/nra for your acreage is banking on more wells. Some places they will get more wells, other places not. There are only X rigs running on Y acres in the Delaware, not everyplace can get more wells in a finite time period, but the buyer just needs to be right on average. Some hits, some misses. If nobody drills a well here for 5 years or so, somebody is gonna feel pretty sad about paying you $300k.

It just becomes a bird-in-hand vs bird-in-bush argument. If you are an individual with a single bush, sometimes it makes sense to de-risk things and cash out, IF the price makes sense.

This is probably more than you wanted to hear. Not sure if any of this makes sense or not, 50% of it makes sense to me and I wrote it. :grinning:

3 Likes

Good explanation.
Also, no one has to sell everything. You can sell part and keep part. Some folks do that to de-risk even further.

How common is it for an oil company that is planning on drilling multiple wells in a section to try purchase [bulk up?] select acreage through a seemingly unrelated land company?

Very common…and some of them even report it to their shareholders.

1 Like

Thank you, NMoilboy, I agree that selling looks awful good