Received a declaration of interest letter for mineral rights

My mother received a declaration of interest letter from Plains Marketing LP, dated 2008, stamped URGENT and postmarked January 17, 2022. How urgent can it be? The letter was dated 15 years ago. The letter states that they don’t have a signed royalty agreement. My mother never signed a royalty agreement because she wasn’t aware of her royalty ownership. The company has extracted oil and gas from her property for over a decade without a signed lease and royalty agreement.

My mother learned of her royalty ownership when she received the letter in January 2023. After some digging, I discovered she is the royalty owner of 40(+) acres of minerals in CADDO Parish, Louisianna, specifically CADDO Pine Island.

The letter states that Plains Marketing LP acquired access to her oil and gas through Shell. My mother is unaware of any lease with Shell for land in Louisiana. Shell may have had a lease agreement with the previous royalty owner.

I’m looking for mineral rights attorneys that don’t have conflicts of interest representing oil and gas companies and specialize in representing royalty owners. My mother is potentially owed a substantial amount of money. Advise, and referrals are welcomed - thanks!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.