Reassignment of Lease

Can anyone tell me how I can find out if an oil and gas lease that I have, in Colorado County, Texas, has been sold to another company?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Don’t know about Colorado, or their individual counties, but in many Texas counties, you can go to their on-line mineral ownership records and search by your last name and find documents that way. in Texas there are also websites that collect all this info in one place. I recently used TexasFile to find an old lease of mine in Leon County, and saw where it was assigned (sold) in 2019.

Thanks! I’ll do a little more digging.

Search online records such as Texasfile for an assignment out of your lessee (your lessee as Grantor) to another company. Often you will have to review an attached exhibit for the list of leases assigned. Sometimes an assignment will be only partial depths or only a fractional interest in the lease, in which case you will have 2 lessees owning part of the lease. Once you find a assignee (eg B), then you can search to see if B has subsequently assigned the lease. If it is a n old lease, there can be many assignments over the years.

1 Like

Great information! Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.