Range Resources Won't Give Us a copy of our lease

We signed with Range- received bonus payment- but we were told Range Resources doesn't sign their leases and therefore we cannot get a copy of our lease with a Range signature on it. This is a legal contract-don't both sides sign? Is this standard with Range or other gas companies in Western PA??

Earl, as has been said repeatedly, Range does not have to sign the lease, record of payment is all they need. Usually the lessee does not execute the lease, they have the cancelled check or other evidence of payment. If you were paid, you should not have a problem.

I hope you kept a copy of the lease for your records.

We always provided a copy for lessor to retain when we mailed lease. That’s all you need. Just note date executed.

Normally an oil company will file at least a memorandum evidencing the lease into the county records to prevent clouding title. It may be worth checking with your county clerk if you want an official record that your lease is in place.

It is common for companies to guard their leases and not release them to the public; however, I have never heard of a company not giving a copy of the signed lease to the lessor. That is odd. I agree with Matthew, check the county records at your court house.