Random Checks from New Companies

Hello,

Twice now, I have received a check from a company I had previously not had any interaction with. I am always afraid it’s somehow a scam and would like to know how to go about it. The first one was able to confirm they bought out (or however it works) another company I recognized.

Most recently, however, I received a check from Red Bluff Resources for the Rosemary 1-3H well in Kingfisher County, Oklahoma. I asked them about it, and they said they took over from Husky, another company I seemed to have had no contact with. I also looked back through my records and didn’t even find a statement with Rosemary on it in the past year.

I am cautious because I don’t want to somehow get scammed. Any tips on how to handle this or resources where I can look into it myself?

Thank you!

The Rosemary #1-3H has been online since 1/23/14. Location is 3-16N-05W. API is 3507324873. (This is the American Petroleum Institute unique identifying number.) Husky sold the well to Kodiak in October 2020. Kodiak sold to Red Bluff in 2021. Call Red Bluff and see if they will give you a copy of the paragraph from the title opinion that gives you title. If they will not, then ask why they think you have title. Oklahoma Energy Acquisitions was also an operator in this section. BCE Mach bought a good bit of their wells. They have the Copperplate well in section 3. Does that one sound familiar?

There is a lot buying and selling of properties now, so fairly normal.

Production info: Gross Production

Well info: https://imaging.occ.ok.gov/imaging/OGWellRecords.aspx

Thank you for the info! I will definitely use these resources in the future.

Husky didn’t sound at all familiar, but I looked and found something from them in 2019. I don’t know how it works, but Sunoco was involved with Husky, and that’s who I received checks from (though, nothing in 2021). Thank you for helping me figure this out!

It was typical for a while for carriers like Sunoco to pay instead of the operators. They stopped doing that last year, so there have been changes in payors.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.