Quiet Title Suit

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how hard it is to file a Quiet Title Suit and approximately how much it costs?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cost around $1500 to $2500 depending on attorney. Simply done everyday, takes several months.

The answer depends on a lot of factors. Is the quiet title designed to correct a title discrepancy? Is it a real fight between different parties? Is it designed to take care of deceased mineral owners?

If it is a title discrepancy, it may not be much. If this is a real fight between competing mineral or leasehold owners, then the cost could be substantial.

It’s a title discrepancy back from 1926. They are looking to drill in our area in Noble county. Thanks for letting me know.

Is anybody going to fight you? If not, it should be 2500-3500.

No I don’t think so. I’m just nervous to put all that money into this and what if I don’t get title

I was in a somewhat similar situation so I can understand the reluctance to spend that much money. In my case (in Oklahoma) it cost about $100 to have a title attorney look at the deed and determine that I no longer had title to the mineral rights. The only reason I had was that I want to see all my mineral rights in several sections and in one section there was some question about ownership. In your case: are the wells on the property, are you getting royalties, do you plan to sell. If you are getting royalties and don't plan to sell it may not be a problem. However, if you do plan to sell a clear title may be necessary. Of course it depends on where your property is located. I'm talking about my experience in OK. Has the chain of title been checked from 1926?

If you have no one who will fight you on it, a few thousand. If someone comes out of the woodwork.... I’ve seen quiet title decrees go up to 80k and beyond more than once. So make sure you have it in the bag before spending any money. I’ve seen men waste a lot of money because of what the original Intentions were meant to be. But unfortunately intentions don’t matter, unless the deed is unclear. If it’s pretty cut clear and dry, that’s it.

The problem is the amount of acres my grandfather claims he owned to what is recorded in books to someone else. My grandfather received a few leases after the filing from 1926 which would prove his claim of still owning the acres but the leasing company won’t acknowledge those acres without getting a Quiet title suit.

I'm no professional but it seems to me that having a landman research the title/deed would show exactly what your grandfather had. Of course doing that could probably cost $1,000 or more. It might be worthwhile to contact a certified landman, tell him/her the situation and see what they think. They usually know lawyers who are familiar with mineral rights and could get you an opinion there also about how to proceed. In my case I got an attorney that was not familiar with mineral rights and it cost us more than it should have.

agree with John. I think having your own landman might prove to be helpful.

I just want to say thank you to everyone that replied. I truly appreciate your help and suggestions. Its nice knowing this forum is out here and that there is nice people like you that respond.