Questions about mineral rights

Hello and thanks for all the advice in advance!

I was contacted in 2002 about some mineral rights I was left in a will from my Aunt and Uncle, Apollo Energy leased it for 3 year period. About 3-4 years ago I was curious about finding out how I can access the same information that they came across to find me. My Aunt and Uncle died many years ago and I never knew anything about the mineral rights. Can anyone give me advice on how to obtain the information they used to contact me about the minerals. It is in Natrona county Wyoming, and I also have the letter that they sent with the contract in regards to the location, I don't have the paper with me here at work but it's township something by range west and 6th pm...... Not really sure what to do with that info.

A few years ago when I called the Apollo Energy they said that well is dry, and nothing ever became of that. Now is there a way to verify that or since they had me on one end not knowing anything about what I was talking about to verify that the info he gave me was accurate and more importantly how do I go about finding the "proof of ownership" for said minerals to be able to pass along to my children if nothing ever becomes of it before I pass on.

Again thanks in advance!

Robert,

Find the referenced letter and provide the exact description of the parcel. Or if you still have the lease, the location will be on the lease. With that any number of people on MRF who work in Wyoming can let you know what happened or better, what may happen to your minerals.

With that info you will be in a position to know how much time and expense will be needed to put the minerals in your name in Natrona County. Maybe Apollo has made an attempt to do so before drilling but probably not.

You may have inherited other minerals in Natrona county; an area that has more going on than just oil and gas so make certain other areas and minerals are covered in a deed of distribution. Find the will and know who the Personal Reps may be.

Gary L Hutchinson

Here is the letter that I received a long time ago. Hopefully this info will help.

Was your aunt and uncles will ever probated? If not, you will need to get it probated in order to get the minerals out of their estate. Until then, you will never be able to receive any royalties, or sell the minerals.

Am I wrong in assuming they have been probated since Apollo Energy got ahold of me and had my sister and myself sign a contract to allow them to explore? I figure since they found me there was proof it has transferred.

No thats not always the case. they can lease your minerals without going to probate, you will just never get any proceeds from the royalty or anything until title is cleared, which involves going to probate. It have have been filed, it may not. You will have to look in the county that your aunt and uncle lived. If it was a different state, you will have to file it in Wyoming.

Robert,

The highest value of the property is its connection to your aunt and uncle. To preserve that value:

1. Contact the County Assessor and find out if any taxes are due on the property. If so, pay them and get the address changed to % Robert Daniel.
  2. Contact the County Recorder and ask if they have an standard Affidavit of Heirship form. Get it, fill it out, and get it recorded. nIf they don't have one, call Hoover and Stacey in Cheyenne. It is by far the best land leasing agent in the State. They may just give you a form to fill out and record.
  3. Keep the letter and Affidavit and Tax records if any for posterity.
  4. Tell you kids great stories about your aunt and uncle in the wilds of Wyoming.

That is the highest and best use of the mineral rights as I see them. Maybe in the next couple of decades a horizontal well well be drilled and your family will get some revenue. But don't count on it. Story telling will be a lot more fun.

Have fun,

Gary L Hutchinson

This is the exact reason I am researching this, if I don't they will never know. I contacted our county probate court and it is public record she said but it is all stored on microfish files since they passed in 88 and 90. I will be making that my next stop. I also did get the name of the lawyer that handled the will and have a call into him also.

Thanks for all the assistance in this!

Hey Gary I did not read this exactly right the first time, the first line says to find out if there is any taxes due on the property, this is just mineral rights they do not own the surface, so am I wrong in assuming there shouldn't be any taxes due on my behalf?

Bob

No,

But if there any taxes due on the mineral rights . . you should pay . . . . forthwith!