Question about Mineral Rights

Hello,

First time on this forum. I'll try to make this as simple as possible.

My aunt and uncle have both passed away. My sister and I inherited their estate.

For years my uncle payed property taxes in Doddridge Co. on what i assume are mineral rights (not sure how to interpret the tax slip). The taxes were mailed to my uncle but were in his father, mother, and aunts names. Now I'm paying them. What do I need to do to get them into my name? How do I find out what exactly i'm paying for? Is it possible for me to be paying these and somebody else has the rights? Thanks for your Time.

Aaron B.

Hello:

When my Mother passed away, she left all land and royalty to me, I called the Courthouse in West Union and asked for help in getting all taxes in my name, I filled out an Affidavit and returned to the Courthouse. Now the tough part, you will need all birth certs, death certs, proof that you are indeed the recipient of the properties. The tax ticket that I get from Doddridge give me a brief description ( very brief) of the location of property and what I own, example, 23a KNIGHTS FORK 1/3 0 & G. Now let me tell you that I have deeds that go back to the 1900's and in some cases I have run into, I have been paying taxes on property that I have found out that I don't even own, even though I have a deed saying otherwise, found out the hard way, Lot is being drilled as we speak and will include 10 pads, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. My advice to you is to get an attorney to help you through the process. hope this helps

Arnold

Yes, it is possible to pay taxes on royalty you own but have no leasing rights. MY family owns several acres in Doddridge Co., (heirs of CW Twyman, I mention that in case I find a relative), we have received a little royalty since 1995, but have never signed a lease that I know of, I have a deed dated 1908. We are non-participating royalty owners NPRO, we receive royalty, but have no leasing rights.

I think someone has told you what you need to do, Affidavit of heirship, Death cert. on everyone etc.

Good luck, BLS , Oklahoma

I agree about calling the Courthouse and asking about the procedure. In Ritchie, they have a clerk in the clerk of Court office called the probate clerk; maybe Doddridge has the same. If you live near there, go and do research, find the deeds involved. Ask questions here, there is a lot of help. If you need an attorney, ask about that also.

thanks for all your responses. I live about 1 hour from west union. I think i will try to call first. Do i need to talk to someone in the assessors office?

Welcome Aaron, take the tax slips to the Doddridge County court house and they will tell you what type of tax ticket you have. The best advise was to have a lawyer get them deeded to the current owners. The other thing is to determine if you and your sister have all the rights. If there were other aunts/uncles that had a share, then you may only own a percentage. There will be a deed that tells who these minerals belonged to. Then you will be able to determine who owns them now. It will look like a family tree. The courthouse does not care who pays the taxes, only that they are paid. As Mr. Stuart stated, take all of your documents with you and a copy of the will and what was probated. Keep us informed and we will try to help any way we can. **Hi Nancy**

Do you know of any good local attorneys? What kind of costs can I expect?

Nancy Mosley said:

I agree about calling the Courthouse and asking about the procedure. In Ritchie, they have a clerk in the clerk of Court office called the probate clerk; maybe Doddridge has the same. If you live near there, go and do research, find the deeds involved. Ask questions here, there is a lot of help. If you need an attorney, ask about that also.

I like Kyle Nuttall who is in Buckhannon, nearby. He is a member of this forum, and you can find him that way or google his name to find his website. I think he will talk with you to give an estimate on the costs, but he seems reasonable for what I have had done (advice on a lease). You can do some of the work ypurself, and I think he would encourage that. Also the clerk in Doddridge can help with some of that, telling you what you need. Some things have to go to the state, but start at the county. My sister and I had to do this recently for our father then mother, so are familiar with the process. Tracing deeds is a different department but you can do a lot of that yourself too. We can help there too.

Everyone should keep this site in their favorites and check there often.

http://www.wvroa.com/