Question about Filings

I have drawers full of filings for “Relief Sought” for pooling, drilling, horizontal wells, etc., that have been filed in different court clerk’s offices. Do I really need to keep them? If so, for how long? Thanks for any answers you may have.

You’ll need to provide a state name in order to get a meaningful answer.

A state would be helpful as each state has their own rules.
If you have them for OK, then you have two options.

One option is to save them in paper form. I have them all in order by State, County, Township, then Range, then section. Put them in Case Order and then by date order. I put them in my mineral tract folders so that I know what is going on with each of my tracts. I also file any leases, pooling orders, Division Orders, etc. in the same folders.

Second option is to save them in digital form. I get them in order by the same method. Then I go online to the Oklahoma Corporation Commission OAP site (OAP) and download the digital files. The OCC site also has much more information, so I download it as well. I make digital folders that correspond to my paper folders and file them in Dropbox. That way they are in the cloud, backed up and available for my heirs. (They also have the passwords). As I have time, I am cleaning out my paper folders and scanning everything. Trying to protect against fire, natural disasters, theft, etc. For any wells that have been drilled, I go to the OCC well records files and also download them digitally. (Test)

1 Like

I have filings from Oklahoma and Texas.

Texas would be similar as to the method of filing for your personal records. Just depends upon how much paper you want to have stored. Our family has kept the records for about 100 years and I have had to refer to them frequently. You can go digital if that saves room. Having a good “paper” trail can be very important as over time, operators change and you want a good idea of what promises were made and how they pass down through time. Having a complete set of records is vital for your family. I am the fourth generation and am so grateful that early generations were meticulous in their records. My kids are now learning the business.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.