Question about Campbell County, Wyoming

In late May I asked this question but received essentially no response, except from someone who said he too had this issue and wondered. Is it okay to re-post in hopes of someone answering who knows something about Wyoming mineral rights? Here is what I said:

My sister and I together have about 100 net mineral acres, part with royalty only, in these areas: T 45N, R 74 W: Section 1 (lots 13-16, Lots 17-18, Lot 19 Section 12: Lot 4 Section 30: All (lots 5-19) Section 31: Lot 8 T 45N R 75W; royalty only, I believe, for these: Section 22 (Lot 15) Section 23: Lots 13-14 Section 26: Lots 3-4 Section 27: Lot 1

Some of these areas are producing a small amount currently.

There have been a number of applications for permits made recently on land adjacent to these holdings, mostly for horizontal wells that go through many depths (Niobrara and Mowry, for example). I’ve received quite detailed listings of the various wells proposed, and sometimes the bore holes are next to our property. I assume they would drain from the pool beneath, so we might be eligible for royalties eventually? I know that pulling a permit does not mean the well will be drilled or if drilled, a good producer, but I wonder what the prospects are in that area of Campbell County.

Thanks for any information as I am a beginner in this and am trying to learn. We got an estimate of the value, done by a landman, when we inherited these rights so I have an idea of what they could be worth, but it depends on how the markets are and if there is a buyer etc. I am responsible for my sister’s part of this too and want to be careful for her sake as well as mine.

P.S. It is possible that we actually own 200 mineral acres between us on those lands but I am not sure how to find out. The paper work is confusing.

Horizontal wells in Wyoming are typically spaced on 640 acre (One section) or 1280 acre (Two sections) units, depending on how long of a wellbore the Operator plans to drill.

Only the mineral owners inside the spacing unit will share in the well. The Commission has rules that dictate how close a well can be to the Unit boundary, so as to prevent drainage from adjoining property.

There are some horizontal wells in the Parkman and Turner sandstones nearby, but there haven’t been any shale wells drilled anywhere nearby. Due to the quirky way in which Wyoming deals with Operatorship, there have been thousands of wells permitted that will never get drilled. The State is working to revise their permitting process so hopefully it won’t be this way in the future.